PDA

View Full Version : Reflector question about glass sheild?

yannicksjh
06/11/2009, 07:19 AM
I"m running two Lumenarc III reflectors. I think their either the older ones that don't have the vent holes on top or just not that model. I know they sell glass sheild for them but not sure if they are only made for the vented ones? If i were to add a piece of glass to mine would it get way to hot in their for the bulb? I do have three fans in my canopy and it stays pretty cool in there with the reflectors barely getting warm (with them open) but just want to ptrotect the reflectors and bulb from water splashes. They do have rails where i can slide some glass. My other question is do i have to get special glass to withstand the heat and a specific thickness? I did contact Lumenarc with no response yet. Hopefully they get back to me as well. thanks

DarG
06/11/2009, 07:43 AM
You should be able to get the glass from any dealer that sells the pendants. Some of the reflectors use a thin, tempered, Low E glass. The thinner glass wont cut the par as much as a thicker piece of standard tempered glass. I would just contact a dealer. Send them a picture of the pendants if you arent sure what you have. I think reefexotics.com only sells the Lumenarc and Lumenbrites so they should be familiar with exactly what pendants you have by seeing picture and be able to hook you up if they are compatible with the glass shield. I have Lumenmax reflectors and many dealers have the optional glass listed for mogul type Lumemax 2's. So again, I think any dealer could get you the glass you need for your LA III's

yannicksjh
06/11/2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks. I live in Canada and i just don't think it would be worth having just two peices of glass shipped. Do you think it would be just cheaper to find out exactly what glass i need (thickness, size, kind ) and have it made at a local glass or window store? I definatly know they are lumenarc III reflectors ( with 250watt moguls) but they don't have the vent optionnal vent kit on them. Is closing them off going to cause a heat issue within the reflector? thanks for your help. Maybe i'll try to find any dealer that can answer the question with out having to order from them unless its reasonnable shipping to Canada and guarentee the glass will make it in one peice.

DarG
06/11/2009, 09:07 AM
There should be some Canadian based Lumenarc dealers.

I know there are some versions with the vent slits in the sides on top and bottom of the outer housing for venting. Then I have seen versions with no vent slits at all on the outer case and I guess these have the optional vent kit available. So assuming you have the type with NO slits in the case, I would definitely find out for sure if the glass can be used in these without the optional vent kit. If you have the type with the vent slits in the outer housing then it should be fine to add the glass ... the Lumenmax and Reef Optix pendants are vented like this and glass can be used.

As far a glass, talk to a glass shop and find out if they have tempered, low E glass. That is what all the Lumenmax and Reef Optix reflectors use. Low E, tempered glass. Its very thin, maybe 3/32" or even thinner. I dont know why they use the Low E type. I know it's a coated type of glass and I think Low E glass does a few things including blocking more UV than standard glass but I think it also reflects some of the heat so maybe because of that it is more heat resistant and allows the use of thinner glass. A glass shop should know for sure. But if the reflector is ok to use with glass, obviously the glass needs to be thin enough to fit into the slot. Thats the main reason why I mention the Low E ... because it is thin and holds up to the heat.
Cheaper reflectors usually use thicker glass and I think it is just standard tempered glass and probably used just because it is cheaper than low e and has to be thicker to hold up to the heat. I have had a combo fixture as well as a cheap retro that both used standard tempered glass but it was thicker ... maybe 3/16".

Obviously Im not a glass expert, just relaying what glass my pendants use and what glass I have seen in other pendants I have owned.

yannicksjh
06/11/2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks, i'll definately look into it. I wish i could just get a reply from them directly???