PDA

View Full Version : Going FO instead of FOWLR

LiveRockRob
06/11/2009, 03:16 PM
Hi All,

I've been researching marine aquarium hobby for the past 3 months. I purchased an 80 Gal tank while back and it has been sitting empty, waiting till I purchase all the equipment.

Originally, I wanted to go FOWLR, but due to being unemployed at this time, I'm not sure that I can invest $500 in live rock.

I'm thinking that FOWLS (Fish Only with Live Sand) hahaha!!! (Writing FO just doesn't feel right) would be a good start for now.

If I do go this route, I know I will need to get another way of filtration going. I have a Fluval 304 and I may add some thing else to it in order to support the bioload.

Any advice?
Benefits of going FOWLS?
Disadventages of going FOWLS?

Eventually, I hope to upgrade to FOWLR, than to Reef (3 years down the road).

Thanks for the feedback.

Rob

DamnPepShrimp
06/11/2009, 03:31 PM
IMO I wouldn't do a tank without live rock. You could but some cheap dead rock or make your own and cure it. Check your local boards/reef club for deals.

sean A.
06/11/2009, 03:34 PM
Hey Rob the benefit of using LR is that it adds Filtration in your tank. I know money is tight but u can go on Craigslist & look for LR.
You can usually find it on there for about $2-3 a pound. At one point I found a guy selling 110 lbs. for
$150. So I would check that out before you give up on LR rite now.That's just MO

saltman23
06/11/2009, 03:35 PM
benefits: cost
disadvantages: limits the kinds of fish, less filtration and food for fish.

chasekwe
06/11/2009, 05:02 PM
Even if you get as much as 2lbs per gallon which might be excessive for a FOWLR it only costs $240.00 for 160lbs of the very nice Dry Rock from TampaBaySaltwater.

1lb per gallon is obviously have the price.

MatthewLaw
06/11/2009, 05:19 PM
you can buy a small amount ofLR and although it may taken longer to cycle the tank, it will move you forward in the process despite your limited budget.

Damascus
06/11/2009, 05:55 PM
dont take this personally but if you dont have a job dont get into this hobby. It cost money and doing it cheap is BS IMO and not fair to the fish. You control their lives. People without a job worry about different things than people with one. Like feeding yourself not your animals. Starting an expensive hobby and already cutting corners is just plain dumb.