PDA

View Full Version : Little problem with my cheato

Tc269
06/12/2009, 11:22 PM
my cheato seems to be breaking down and I dont know why, not much of a macro algea person. the only thing i have changes is i just got done doing a interceptor treatment (which i heard is suppose to have no negetive effect on anything but shrimps and crabs and copepod and amphipods). This is when the algea started to break down and my tank started to have a small problem with my sand bed turning brown through out the day but clears up at night, believe this is called diatoms. I also added chemi-pure elite which I know has GFO but I only added one pack for my 90gl tank which is like 1/2 the recomended dose. so i didnt think it would kill the cheato. Which of these could be the possiblily or any other ideas??

HighlandReefer
06/13/2009, 06:27 AM
Interceptor (Milbemycin Oxime) is a macrocyclic lactone. This group of products can have negative effects on aquatic organisms and can be very toxic to fish.

A couple of references:

http://books.google.com/books?id=OBZbR4vpg0YC&pg=PA80&lpg=PA80&dq=%22milbemycin+oxime%22+aquatic&source=bl&ots=PEFI3hHeqD&sig=FTAuwgbbweNSNGo1Dkpp73Bmp0Q&hl=en&ei=DJczStn5DdmJtgfK_eT4Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#PPA80,M1

Here is the Saftey Data Sheet for a very similar compound included in the group of macrocyclic lactone compounds:

http://books.google.com/books?id=OBZbR4vpg0YC&pg=PA80&lpg=PA80&dq=%22milbemycin+oxime%22+aquatic&source=bl&ots=PEFI3hHeqD&sig=FTAuwgbbweNSNGo1Dkpp73Bmp0Q&hl=en&ei=DJczStn5DdmJtgfK_eT4Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#PPA80,M1

From this Sheet:

Aquatic toxicity
Compound Type Species Result
Ivermectin LC50/48h Rainbow Trout 0.000025 mg/L

I have not been able to find any disclosed studies that are in reference to plant materials like chaeto.

HighlandReefer
06/13/2009, 06:45 AM
Here is a study on the effects of the macrocyclic lactone compounds on one type of algae:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V74-4P59RRF-6&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=d3fb3e7a39b73525dc34dbbf431d4394

From it:

Although widely used for the treatment of endo- and ectoparasites in livestock and pets, very few data on chronic effects on aquatic organisms are available for the parasiticide ivermectin. In the present study, toxicity of ivermectin to two freshwater organisms, the cladoceran Daphnia magna and the green alga Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata was investigated. For D. magna, a mean LC50 48 h of 5.7 ng l−1 was derived from 10 acute tests. Chronic toxicity of ivermectin to D. magna was extremely high: with 0.001 and 0.0003 ng l−1, respectively, nominal LOEC and NOEC based on growth and reproduction were far below the analytical limit of detection for this compound. P. subcapitata was considerably less sensitive to ivermectin than D. magna. For both growth rate and yield, EC50 was >4000 ìg l−1, LOEC was 1250 ìg l−1 and NOEC 391 ìg l−1. In view of the high toxicity to D. magna, the use of ivermectin might pose a risk to local aquatic ecosystems. Further studies should be carried out to investigate the effects of ivermectin and its degradation products on pelagic and benthic freshwater invertebrates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So apparently these compounds can be quite toxic to algae.

HighlandReefer
06/13/2009, 06:47 AM
Another study:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/191512.htm

From it:

While macrocyclic lactones have the potential to disrupt the ecology of dung fauna if given in persistent formulations or sustained-release devices, there is no evidence for longterm adverse effects of macrocyclic lactone residues on the degradation of dung pats or on the accumulation of dung on pasture. In most husbandry systems, a large proportion of the feces will not contain residues of macrocyclic lactones, thus providing a large reservoir of safe habitat for dung insects. Therefore, it is unlikely that use of macrocyclic lactones will have a significant ecotoxicologic impact on a global or regional scale.

Tc269
06/14/2009, 08:57 AM
WOW thanks for the very scientific reading i had to read it a couple of times lol. thanks again.

HighlandReefer
06/14/2009, 10:54 AM
Your welcome.

Happy Reefing. ;)