PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 1000 SL Multi skimmer

Finsky
06/13/2009, 12:24 AM
I recently purchased a Turbo 1000 SL Multi skimmer along with an included 2500 Ocean Runner pump. I have it set up as a hang on. I set it up and turned it on and the water just trickled out of the two outflow tubes.

I was getting hardly any flow from a 650 gph pump and Dr. Fosters & Smith said to remove the impeller and check for obstructions and if it did not produce a good flow the pump was bad and they would send me a new one.

Does anyone have any experience with setting this skimmer up as a hang on, etc.

Duce
06/13/2009, 07:43 AM
Did you try adjusting the 2 knobs at the start of the outflow tube (near the body) ? They control how much water comes out to an extend....

Finsky
06/13/2009, 11:00 AM
Hi Duce:

I have them full throttle and I even removed them. Dr. F & S told me to check out the impeller and put it back to see if that helped. It did not so I called and they are sending me a replacement 2500 Ocean Runner which should be blasting water at 650 GPH?

Duce
06/13/2009, 12:19 PM
I would suggest trying the new pump they sent you.
My TL was plug and play and have no issue with water flow. I think they are generally decent skimmer.
I noticed the pump I have for my AM Blue series did have a bit of flow problem but went away after I fiddled with it a bit....
Good luck...

Finsky
06/14/2009, 05:21 PM
Thank you Duce. I think I have a good skimmer on my hand or tank now. It just must have been a bad pump. I am expecting the new one on Thursday. I will reply with an update after I install that one. Did you use the entire six inch length of tubing to keep the pump under the water four to five inches?

Soundwave
06/16/2009, 10:31 AM
You want the pump as close to the suface as possible. Just make sure it doesn't suck in air. The higher the pump the easier it will be for the air to mix with the water. I have this skimmer in my sump and mesh modded it. Works great!