PDA

View Full Version : suspicious about w per g rule

euromomtx
06/13/2009, 09:27 AM
I had a power compact fixture on my 29g tank and got a T5 fixture for my new 125 tank.
Both fixtures have new bulbs.
On the 29g I have 2 NEW 65w power compact bulbs making it over 4w per gallon, right (1 10k, 1 actinic)?
On the 125g I have only 4 NEW 80w T5 bulbs making it only about 2.5w per gallon (1 10k, 1 15k, 2 actinic).

Both fixtures have new bulbs but the new tank is super bright while the old tank which sits right next to it seems kind of dull in comparison.

So:
Is this an indication that my power compact fixture needs replacing?
Or is it normal for the T5s to be brighter even at the same wattage because of the individual reflectors perhaps?
If so then the watts per gallon rule would seem pretty variable based on what fixture one used.
And if that's the case what type of fixture's watts is the rule based on?

For what its worth all of the stuff I moved from the 4.4w per g PC tank to the 2.5w per g T5 tank is doing better than ever. I just have easy stuff though: Montipora (grows like a weed!), polyps, zoas, etc.

fishieness
06/13/2009, 10:06 AM
wpg is alllllll bs.... Not a bad guideline for someone just starting out when talking about a certain type of lighting and on similar sized tanks.
But on your 29, you have 130 watts. Having a 4 bulb t5 with good reflectors would run 96 watts and blow your 130 watts right out of the water....
It's a very basic guideline that really isn't used anymore unless someone or a book doesn't really want to go into more details.

JRechcygl
06/13/2009, 10:45 AM
I have less than 4 WPG on my 180 of T5, and can grow SPS essentially to the sandbed. I had I had 5.5WPG of PC on my 75 and could barely grow SPS 3/4th the way up, and I'm talking Montis....

Watts are a measure of amount of energy used not the amount of useable light getting to corals... You want PAR not WPG