PDA

View Full Version : removing Pistol shrimp?

ser_renely
06/13/2009, 12:59 PM
Man, the more I monitor my tank the more pistol shrimp I find. can they have babies in my tank? I think I have about 10 or so and one is avout 2" long or so...huge claw!!!

I am definately losing the battle of sand contruction they have warred upon me every night. They stir up sooo much sand, and I think it is time to get a few out, as much as I love them.

My question is how to get them out, since they really never leave there holes except to dart for food? I guess I don't see how a trap would work, but I am always surprised.

Interestingly they seem all happy living close by.

seattleguy
06/13/2009, 01:38 PM
I would try and trap them first. However if you don't care what happens to them you could treat your tank with "interceptor" which is used to kill red bugs on sps corals. A strong dose would kill them and most other craps including Acro crabs and possibly some hermits. Cleaner shrimp often croak too. This is definitely brutal but it would work. How sick of them are you?

I think that you should be happy that they have reproduced in your tank and figure out a way to catch them in a trap and share them with other reefers.

princesuhaib
06/13/2009, 02:00 PM
Hey Ill take 1 if you dont want them... do you ship ?

ser_renely
06/14/2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks, no where near that desperate..couldn't ever do that to my tank.