PDA

View Full Version : Nassaurius vibex vs stomatella varia

CLINTOS
06/14/2009, 06:26 AM
What makes the stomatella varia easier to multiply then
Nassaurius vibex?

pagojoe
06/14/2009, 03:22 PM
Snails that have very short pelagic periods (periods where the tiny animals float in the currents shortly after hatching) and direct devlopers (no pelagic or planktonic stage) have a much better chance of reproducing in an aquarium. The trochids (e.g., Stomatella species) and turbinids generally have very short pelagic periods. Nassarius vibex has a longer pelagic period, so it's more likely that, once the eggs hatch, the babies will be caught up in your filters or eaten by some filter feeder, or that they won't find suitable food and will starve.

Cheers,

Don

CLINTOS
06/15/2009, 12:26 PM
Cool thanks

Was also wondering about the Nassaurius vibex

By having them in a tank by them selves with maybe a air stone or sponge over a slow flow intake HOB filter would I be able to raise them to a stage where i can introduce them into the DT at a later date?

pagojoe
06/15/2009, 01:15 PM
Possibly. A few people have had Nassarius (apparently) reproduce in their tanks, but it might be a matter of luck more than anything else, or the snails might have just come in as very small hitchhikers and showed up some months later as they grew.

CLINTOS
06/16/2009, 05:20 AM
I'm thinking of setting up a 10G with 10lbs LR,3"DSB,2x 50 gph powerhead with sponge on intakes and a small air pump

Along with dosing home made nano phytoplankton daily while slowly increasing daily amount weekly and possibly use amphipod as scavengers along with other zooplanktons,worms,mini serpent stars,chittons etc and some soft coral as a natural consumer of unused phyto along with allowing the glass to get full of algae then scraping the glass every few days etc

Any chance this might work or would throwing in some nori every once and a while help too?

any lighting that would be suggested maybe a 23 watt or less?

VacavilleFC3S
06/19/2009, 05:01 AM
you'd need to feed the nassarius quite a bit since there scavengers,