PDA

View Full Version : Been a while - new video with queen trigger

jmccown
06/14/2009, 11:05 AM
I don't know how to embed on the site but here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNO3RxFokU

barbianj
06/14/2009, 12:03 PM
Apparently you can't imbed on RC. Looks like the QT is doing real well. You have a very nice collection of fish. Any idea what your water turnover is?

jmccown
06/14/2009, 12:06 PM
around 20x turnover.

Recty
06/14/2009, 12:33 PM
The tank looks really great. What size is it again? A 240?

Looks to me like your lionfish is getting blown around a little, but otherwise everyone looks like the are having a good time.

jmccown
06/14/2009, 12:59 PM
380 gallons. I have a K8 and a modded K4 on the opposite end. The return is 1200gph. I also have some circulation in the sump.

aldiver311
06/14/2009, 02:31 PM
Awsome tank. Sorry I couldn't get you your Queen Trigger but looks like you found a nice one anyway. Can't beat DD for quality.I really love the Sohal trying to get one myself. But have to get my tank under control before I add any more fish.

triggerfreak
06/14/2009, 05:15 PM
Incredible tang.Your tank is a inspiration to us all.I hope i can get me tank and fish to look as good as yours.And i love the queen trigger.Great job.

danorth
06/14/2009, 06:55 PM
Great looking fish!

LukFox
06/14/2009, 07:08 PM
Gorgeous fish. That's a really stunning sohal!

Mentat
06/14/2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks for posting video, the Queen looks great. Every fish in your tank looks healthy and active, congratulations.

kirkaz
06/14/2009, 09:29 PM
Great video Jason....What are some of the sizes (approximate will do) of your fish? Looks like the Vlamingi is the largest?

MatthewLaw
06/14/2009, 10:45 PM
i know this may sound paranoid but is that an 'ich' scratch at 0:05?

unleashed13
06/14/2009, 11:38 PM
beautiful tank and fish you have

AquaKnight
06/15/2009, 04:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15191473#post15191473 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by barbianj
Apparently you can't imbed on RC.

Just for clarification, because I never responsed in your thread (I apologize). You typically aren't allowed to embed youtube videos on messages boards because that would require the website to have an open html code (I think my terms here are off), but basically it would leave RC vulnerable to html manipulation.

Jason, thanks for showing us a vid of Blochii's tank. ;)

Have my own question, do you consider the Goldenheart and Queen triggers to be at full weight, or a bit skinny? I ask because my Lei Trigger looks very similar, in the sense that along the top of the back, from like behind the top trigger, to around the base of the tail. It sort of looks like the triggers have been squeezed, like someone picked the fish by the back with their thumb/forefinger. I have been feeding heavy for close to 2 months now, and have noticed a bit of weight, but your GHT/Queen/my Lei, look nothing like your plumb Humu, for instance....

jmccown
06/15/2009, 08:53 AM
AquaKnight. Despite having some of the meanest fish in the hobby (Titan, Clown, Queen, the blochii rules over all of them. On the triggers, the Goldenheart does have a pinched look like you describe. He eats like mad but doesn't gain any girth. The others are all very plump. The GHT does scratch a bit, so I need to treat with prazipro

Here are the sizes of some of the fish:

vlamingii (1) - 14"
vlamingii (2) - 12"
blochii (10.5-11")
goldenheart 10.5-11"
sohal 8"
blonde naso 8"
clown trigger 7.5"
queen trigger 5"
Titan trigger 5"
huma huma 4"
Niger Trigger 4"
Red Coris Wrasse 6"
Saddle wrasse 6"
Queen Angel 5"
Passer Angel 6"
Annularis Angel 9.5"
Neon green wrasse 6"
Diana's Hogfish 5"

I think that's all. In my 150g reef tank I have:

7" blue hippo
4" undulated
6" foxface lo
5" sailfin
4" green chromis
1" percula
6" purple tang

jmccown
06/15/2009, 08:57 AM
An upgrade is planned in the next 2 years with a 900-1000g tank, so whatever fish I have at that time will be consolidated into a single tank. It will likely be at least a 12' long tank. I don't think I'll be adding any more fish. The queen trigger finished my stock list when I found it 2 weeks ago. I'm finally a happy camper!

DamnPepShrimp
06/15/2009, 09:00 AM
Wow, I definitely think you have the most aggressive mix on RC. Nice tank, can't wait until the upgrade!

MatthewLaw
06/15/2009, 09:03 AM
assuming it is ich, prazipro wont treat it.

unless the scratching is for some internal parasite issue?

jmccown
06/15/2009, 09:06 AM
That was my goal DPS. I am more partial to the more aggressive fish. If the scale starts tipping towards the aggressive fish later on down the road I will take out the lesser aggressive fish from this tank till the upgrade. Over the last 3 years that this tank has been up I have only had one issue with aggression, which was a blueline trigger. He was removed quickly.

I am truly looking forward to the upgrade as well. My goal with the new tank is to make it as maintenance free as possible. So I'm going with the best equipment/user friendly equipment that I can to makes things easy with the big tank. My wife wants me to go with another 36" tall tank, but I think it is too much. I was thinking more like 30". But the extra height looks nice.

jmccown
06/15/2009, 09:09 AM
MatthewLaw, there is no signs of ich in my tank. Hasn't been in over 2.5 years. I think the GHT might have some sort of external parasite, which prazi will treat. I think fish will scratch if they have parasites. From time to time I see my queen angel cleaning the GHT. So that's a sign right there.

DamnPepShrimp
06/15/2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I love the aggressive fish as well, have a queen angel, passer angel, sohal tang, and looking for a clown trigger next. There is usually just more fighting with the most aggressive fish. Need to find that happy balance. I like the 36" tall tank for viewing but it is a pain to deal with! If you do a 12' long tank, I think you'll want it 3' tall otherwise it might look a little weird.

MatthewLaw
06/15/2009, 09:13 AM
ok, good luck.

i made the mistake of thinking my kleini butterfly's infrequent scratching was no big deal since the fish ate very well. two days later he was barely breathing, had the white spots on himself and was dead overnight.

jmccown
06/15/2009, 09:23 AM
I was wondering you you got the sohal DPS. Congrats. I've had mine going on 2 years now. I think they're great fish. They start getting really vibrant at the 7-8" mark.

DamnPepShrimp
06/15/2009, 09:32 AM
Mine is about 6" and was in a 75g from the guy I got it from. Said it was pretty tame. Well, its not once in a 7ft long 210g. He loves the extra length but definitely gets into it with some of my fish sometimes, but my queen angel owns him. I've always wanted one, love the colors. When do you think you'll be upgrading? I know you have to move first, any ideas on what else you'll be adding livestock wise or you just going to let the fish grow out?

jmccown
06/15/2009, 09:38 AM
Upgrade will be within next 2 years. I am graduating from college in August and that is suppose to trigger a promotion from my current job. If all goes well it will mean a good raise for me with work and all that depends on when the build will take place. On the livestock I doubt I'll be adding anything else. Gotta imagine the size that most of these fish will achieve in a couple of years. I have seen sohal tangs reach 2 feet at a public aquarium near me. So if these fish reach their adult size even a 1000g tank will look pretty full with what I have now.

barbianj
06/15/2009, 10:43 AM
Your fish don't look that big. Not saying that you measured every one of them wrong, just that your tank is big enough to make them look smaller.

jmccown
06/15/2009, 10:54 AM
Tank is 8'. Those are my best estimates BJ. Just for comparison the QT was from DD and they measured at 5.5" I believe. With my newer fish I started measuring them before adding them to the tank while they are in the acclimation bucket. I know for certain the sizes of the Golden heart is correct and the Titan and the queen trigger. I sort of gauge from those because they were the most recent additions. You can see how small the queen trigger and titan look in comparison to the rest of the fish. I may be off on my estimates but not far I'm sure.

danorth
06/15/2009, 11:28 AM
Man, that 12' tank will look great.