PDA

View Full Version : Water to clean for Chaeto?

Brucewrs
06/14/2009, 12:52 PM
Is that possible?I have a RedSea Max 250 which is 66 gallons.I kepted the stock skimmer and added a sump with a Euroreef5-3 skimmer.Also added two reactors,one phosban and the other carbon.Also have a chiller with a 25wattUV light in line..I like over kill.LOL

Everything is doing great in the tank except for my chaeto in the sump.I tried several different lights.I have ZERO nitrates.I wonder if my water is too clean?

ludnix
06/14/2009, 01:03 PM
The chaeto needs nutrients to survive, but starvation is an uncommon reason for lack of growth (though entirely possible). Have you tried the bulb tested in this article?
http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

So far that is what most people seem to be having the greatest success with. If chaeto doesn't get the right light it can be really difficult to grow even in high nutrient tanks. If that doesn't work than maybe you're water isn't conducive to algae growth, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Brucewrs
06/14/2009, 01:16 PM
I will check out that link.Thanks.As far as algae growth,I really dont have much.Maybe a little on the back wall but the snails take care of it.None on the rocks except coraline.

redfishsc
06/14/2009, 01:22 PM
Chaeto will usually run out of iron before anything else. It seems (in my system) to have a higher-than-expected need for iron.

I started dosing Randy's Fergon tablet recipe 4 or 5 months ago and have not had a chaeto problem since. Give it a shot and STAND BACK!

cloak
06/14/2009, 03:26 PM
Chaeto growth is not really a good thing when you think about it. Cyno is probably feeding on the same thing. I would much rather see growth of chaeto than slime though.