PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Seen This??

D_Hood87
06/14/2009, 06:35 PM
OK this is what happening in my 90gal reef...some of my LPS looked like they were dieing and the heads fell off and i was bumming bad...but today when i looked into the tank where the heads were before they fell are now a lot of small sprouts, and where the heads fell and decomposed they are starting there too...i mean i can almost count 100 frog spawns, hammers, duncans all over my tank now, all from 3 or 4 corals dieing...i am just wondering if anyone has ever had this happen?? its freaking me out...if i can find my camera cord ill post before and after pics.
Ammonia-0PPM
Nitrite-0PPM
Nitrate-5-10PPM
P04-0PPM
Calcium-460PPM
Mag-1325
DKH-10
Thanks
Donald

D_Hood87
06/14/2009, 07:19 PM
anyone??

mick243
06/14/2009, 07:34 PM
photo's ?

es1887
06/14/2009, 07:49 PM
i have not seen this, but i have read about it. it maybe a form of reproduction where the coral actually decalcifies its self in order to form a separate colony. it is most common in fungids though. it usually stems from being stressed. i guess that it is a good thing you still have the little guys though. you still got your corals, and now you can take some to a lfs for some others maybe

D_Hood87
06/14/2009, 10:48 PM
yeah i will be taking some to the LFS but as far as i can tell my system has not been and/or is not stressed...i don't know the only thing that kills me is that my once HUGE colonies are now many little ones....i mean almost 3 years down the drain.... oh well i guess i can now give back to the hobby...and no photos yet b/c my camera cord is missing...i just really don't want this to happen again and i have done test after test even went and bought new tests and took water to the LFS for them to test with nothing showing any signs of "bad" water....anyone with any knowledge in this area or even second hand knowledge please help me figure this out...

dnsfpl
06/15/2009, 03:23 AM
love to see how it looks like
picture please

Elysia
06/15/2009, 10:10 AM
What about temperature shifts? Or with the recent storms we seem to be having constantly, did the power go off for a bit? Lighting change? Flow change? Feeding change?

If you have checked all your water params that you can with a test kit, then the next logical place to look would be those things that you can't check w/ the kits you list.

What about your pH? Oxygen levels. Have you been working in the house, painting or cleaning? Dosing anything? Any new inhabitants in the tank? New equipment?

clayw
06/15/2009, 12:34 PM
can you describe what it looked like before the heads actually dropped off please? i have a branching hammer than may be doing this and my water is fine as well. but a few stocks seem to be in the process of losing their green heads, the ends of the stocks like like they are pinching off the green parts or the heads are tearing away, its never been moved, its always looked healthy all water params are the same nothing has changed. Im wondering if mine is starting to do what yours did. can you describe what it looked like before they actually fell off?

melev
06/15/2009, 01:35 PM
Even a cellphone picture would be appreciated in this day and age. :)

bigworm175
06/15/2009, 01:43 PM
That sounds cool. Would love to see what you're describing.