PDA

View Full Version : Tyree 500$ efflo

liudachris
06/14/2009, 11:38 PM
So about 6 mths ago a friend gave me a small bleached tyree efflo frag as a rescue. His tank had a big hair algae problem so he was shutting it down...currently the frag is still the same size and same color (bleached) but alive b/c I see polyp extension and no STN at this point. Does anyone have any experience keeping this coral (ie: lighting / flow requirements)? I'd like it to color up or at least start growing....

Tank Specs: 48 G + 12 G sump. Lighting is 2x150W 15K MH. Tank is SPS dominated and all my other SPS grow fine in it...

Thanks in advance,
C

itachi
06/15/2009, 12:26 AM
I have this , i've noticed for me not getting that really nice color without it sitting directly under bright lights and i have 400w radiums. I'm thinking of switching to t5's which has me wondering how the color is going to go. When i got it originally it was very small and actually more green than blue. It eventually colored up and started growing once it uncrusted on the rock, it took off. It's very a very slow starter IMO.

gcarroll
06/15/2009, 08:47 AM
I have only seen this coral keep it deep purple coloration under 2 bulb combinations.

250 watt XM 10K w/ VHO Super Actinic (Roland aka: old yeller tang)
250 watt XM 20K DE (Anthony aka: skinnychinaman)

I have never been able to replicate it.

mark728
06/15/2009, 03:21 PM
Hi I have a $500 efflo and yes it is hard to get it to color up but what I learned is it will only start to get that nice purple color at around 3 to 4in in size ,also it loves flow I have mine 1/2 way from the top with a return blowing over it and my vortech is blowing over it too ,I made some frags of mine 2 times but after each time it started to color back up I have mine under alot of light a mix of 250w 20k radium and a 400w 10k reeflux I also have 4 vho super actnics ,and 2 t5 ati blue plus , the higher I put it the better the color was, here are some pics of it healing after being fragged.

Healing after I made my 1st frags

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8083/dscn5432.jpg

healing after I made my 2nd set of frags
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8378/dscn7818g.jpg

DT's_Reef
06/15/2009, 03:50 PM
Mark, that looks good enough to eat!

liudachris
06/15/2009, 10:41 PM
For the last 4 months it's actually been sitting in the bottom of my tank in a high flow area...it was forgotten for awhile since it had been stung by another coral and I thought it wasn't going to make it...

Anyways, I've moved it to the top part of my tank right next to a powerhead so we'll see how it does.

Thanks
C