PDA

View Full Version : Brown Heniochus experience?

falconut
06/15/2009, 02:21 PM
Has anybody here ever had one of these guys? I believe they are the Heniochus varius. I can't find much information on them and a decent photo isn't that easy either. So, here's one of the better ones:
http://www.marinelifephotography.com/fishes/butterflyfishes/heniochus-varius-juv.jpg
My LFS has one that is about 4" from the top fin to the bottom fins. It doesn't appear to have any horns, like the photo. So either it's a different species or they don't develop until they get bigger. All I can find is that they're a fairly hardy fish and some say no to reefs and others say with caution. I know it's in the butterfly family, but there is another Heniochus that's reef safe, so I was just curious with this guy. Not too colorful, but really neat looking at the LFS.

Any experience would be appreciated.

AuroraDrvr
06/15/2009, 03:18 PM
Horns come along later in life.

No reefs, at all.

H. diphretus is 50-50 reef safe.

Definitely an overall very cool fish. A very underrated beauty, IMHO.

JamesJR
06/15/2009, 08:36 PM
They are very cool fish as well. I would like to add that they are not anywhere near as hardy as some of the more common bannerfish such as the H. diphreatus or H. acuminatus. They also don't adapt quite as well as they do tend to eat coral in the wild and sometimes don't adapt to captive food.

falconut
06/16/2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks Guys.