PDA

View Full Version : Zoa Question

thiefofalways
06/15/2009, 05:10 PM
Hey there! I am new here so I hope im not breaking any rules by creating a thread, but I was wondering if zoas are sensitive to high light, and if so, would this cause them to shut and not open due to the same effect as we humans squinting in the bright sunlight?

thanks in advance!

MUCHO REEF
06/15/2009, 05:32 PM
Hello and welcome. The answer to your question is yes and no.

Yes, but I wouldn't characterize it as "sensitivity". Shallow water dwelling polyps can tolerate more light than deep water polyps. Those polyps which are grown closer to the surface have a natural adaptation to such intensity. Conversely, those grown and collected from deeper depth do not prefer such intensity. But, if properly acclimated, most all polyps can and well adapt/acclimate to most light sources/schemes with few exceptions.

Placing a frag or colony that was captive raised in a system with a couple of VHO's and placing those polyps the next day in a system with dual 250 watt MH and I can almost guarantee you the outcome. Instant retraction, mass expulsion of zooxanthellae, pre bleaching which can and will led to bleaching, wasting away and yes, even death. With simple egg crating, about 5 or 6 layer of screening and some time to acclimate, most polyps will adapt and do just fine.

Good luck and again, welcome.

Mucho Reef

thiefofalways
06/16/2009, 05:40 AM
Awesome. thats sort of what I was thinking. I am going to try and move them to a lower light area and slowly acclimate them.