PDA

View Full Version : blue hawkins

sfilipowski
06/15/2009, 06:45 PM
just added a blue hawkins in my 34 gal sea max water seems good and everything is growing it is only a few inches away form a hammer coral that is growin and in the last couple of days i can see the hawkins not lookin so blue in the ends I know that some corals need some space but i have a 34a gal and have few options with high flow and high light when i feed i can see the hammers reaching out with their invisible arms gettin the food what would be a good rule of thumb for distance between a small hammer and a small blue hawkins for placemet thankx

Sugar Magnolia
06/15/2009, 06:55 PM
What is a blue hawkins? Do you have the scientific name of it?

sfilipowski
06/15/2009, 07:05 PM
no i am still a newbie it looks like a birds nest which is still not scientific it was 90 bucks so I? want to keep it livin i have been doing everthing by the book and so far everything is good! i just was wondering is placement was a problem for it

jhoff
06/15/2009, 07:39 PM
Here is a Hawkins http://www.uniquecorals.com/sps/ora/ora-hawkins-echinata

SKremk
06/15/2009, 07:43 PM
Hawkins Blue is the name of a blue acropora echinata frag from ORA.

Definitely don't keep it next to the hammer, it will sting the acro. The acro needs to be far enough away from the hammer, or any other coral, that it can't sting it.

Sugar Magnolia
06/15/2009, 07:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15199577#post15199577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SKremk
Hawkins Blue is the name of a blue acropora echinata frag from ORA.

Definitely don't keep it next to the hammer, it will sting the acro. The acro needs to be far enough away from the hammer, or any other coral, that it can't sting it. Ah, thank you. I'm obviously out of the loop with these fancy shmancy coral names. So....it's an acropora echinata. :D High flow, high light area, and away from any coral with sweeper tentacles.

sfilipowski
06/15/2009, 08:33 PM
thanks at first i thought it was a calcium issue but i have good water and was afraid the hammer would sting it I think that is the problem can the hawkins recover from a few days of abuse? i am moving it right now

sfilipowski
06/15/2009, 08:42 PM
like i said i have little room but for now i placed it kinda close to a donut coral is that any better? I will change the flow and rearrange tomorrow thanks i just want it to have high flow and max light