PDA

View Full Version : What things would you remove from live sand?

n00by
06/16/2009, 09:26 AM
My live sand had some sea weed, some wood and even some thin vine like stick like things. Hard to explain. Typical things you'd find at any beach I suppose. I removed all of those, added the bio-magnetic liquid concoction and am still waiting for the cloudiness to settle.

I have to go back home and spread the sand around evenly even though it's going to kick up more sand again.

When will all that fine dust dissipate? I mean what's stopping it from kicking back up one day if a fish plays around in it or the power head flow goes near it?

dudley moray
06/16/2009, 09:34 AM
it usually takes a couple hours to a day before it settles then you'll get a diatom bloom nothing to worry about though it will go away in a week or so

der_wille_zur_macht
06/16/2009, 09:45 AM
Where did you get your live sand from?

Unless all those odds and ends were ugly, I'd probably leave them in.

n00by
06/16/2009, 10:25 AM
LFS, it's CaribSea Live Sand.

Should I be running the skimmer at this time?

knoxtnreef
06/16/2009, 10:29 AM
it doesnt hurt anything to

der_wille_zur_macht
06/16/2009, 10:34 AM
I strongly advocate clean cycles - run your skimmer, do water changes, etc. - as if the tank was established. It'll help you get in the swing of things for your new tank, it'll help lessen the negative impact/nutrient loading caused by the cycle, and it'll allow more beneficial life to survive on your live rock.