PDA

View Full Version : Jellyfish tanks?

legndairywon
06/16/2009, 10:40 AM
Anyone know anything about keeping JellyFish?

muddysr5
06/16/2009, 10:46 AM
YIKES! You may need a pretty big tank :)

landlord
06/16/2009, 10:52 AM
It can be very expensive to get the hardware if you are not a DIY kind of person. I've also read that if you do not live near the coast it is difficult to acquire the livestock.

go check out midwatersystems.com

dudley moray
06/16/2009, 11:05 AM
the tank should be round or spherical but you can get away without also the ones i have seen have a monodirectional current to keep the jelly in a kind of suspension becuase they are always moving as the landlord said check out www.midwatersystems.com

Henryreef
06/16/2009, 11:43 AM
I also have heard that Jellyfish setups are very expensive and need large chillers and special items specific for there care.

firsttank
06/16/2009, 11:49 AM
I have always been curious about it, what I gather from this discussion sounds like its going to be very expensive- wonder why though

will tag along this one

Tswifty
06/16/2009, 11:52 AM
As stated above, they are VERY specialized setups. I remember seeing pictures of one in one of the forums, so someone on here actually has one... try searching for it.

Tswifty
06/16/2009, 11:53 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1582911

ctenophors rule
06/16/2009, 06:42 PM
the jellyquariums are good.

on the youtube channel of, the la fish guy, he shows a "jelly fish rearing set up" that is pretty good if you want to do that.

he also shows that the jellies from the gulf need warmer waters, around 75 degrees. still will need a chiller/heater just in case, but maybe not as strong.

i think that a, corect me if i am calling it wrong, kygore system? is used with keeping jellies in non spherical tanks

i kept a frill fined comb jelly in a fish bowl (cylindrical one) with an a bendy air wand positioned so that the ctenophor would never touch the glass, and i would have a drip loop changing water constantly (the bowl was overflowing into a 10 gallon) i e vetualy moved it to the ten gallon, and i set up a number of airaetors so that the jelly ne ver touched glass.

after a week i set him free, experament over.

i would never be irresponsible and release an animal into the wold now, but at the time i was not aware. (i was native though, released him where i cought him.