PDA

View Full Version : Blue face angel in REEF?

Hongt713
06/16/2009, 12:53 PM
i have a juv. blueface angel.. i was wondering does anyone have any advice in keeping these fish in a reef tank or does anyone have it in a reef tank, if so can i see photos. thankss

BEN BOGDAN
06/17/2009, 11:23 AM
Some get away with it. Eventually it may find something it likes to eat. I like to have another tank to move the offender to if it becomes a problem. I will be adding a 6 inch goldflake to my reef soon and have two other tanks he can go into and or remove the coral he goes after. Angels dwarf or large can be fine for a time and then one day................disaster. What the --LL.... Columbus took a chance!

saltwatercityma
06/17/2009, 11:38 AM
I have a blueface raised from a juvie. He won't touch anything thats already in the tank-But he will sample anything thats put in now. He completly ate a zoo rock 2 weeks ago -The kicker is the
same zoos (dif rock)were already in the tank and they are just part of the background.

Vili_Shark
06/17/2009, 12:16 PM
I know of a few in SPS only tanks.

Wouldnt trust it with fleshy LPS or Zoanthids.

JStorey
06/17/2009, 01:00 PM
I have had one in my tank for about a year and a half now with no issues. i keep mainly lps and softies. I guess I am lucky.

Hongt713
06/17/2009, 01:03 PM
man wish i can be that lucky. iv got mine in my 471gal reef tank but its a pain to try to get it out since my tank is almost 4ft high.
i have seen the blue face in other members tank and seem to do fine hoping i can get the same results

Sardaukar
06/17/2009, 06:04 PM
The general consensus for all angels not in the Genicanthus genre is that you are probably safe with SPS and maybe safe with clams, LPS and zoas/softies. There are examples of just about every species of angelfish, both large and dwarf (barring the Genicanthus), being reef terrors that relentlessly pick at every coral in the tank, examples of them not touching a single coral and every shade in between. For every person who has kept X angel in a full reef without incident, there is someone who has had that same species eat corals and clams. The only real rule is that anything is possible.

The only real things of note would be 1) SPS seem to be less likely than more fleshy corals to be nipped/eaten by angels, 2) juvenile fish seem to be less likely to nip and 3) well fed angels seem to be less likely to nip. At the end of the day, if you want a non-Genicanthus angel in your tank, you have to roll the dice.