PDA

View Full Version : Salifert KH test kits.

jim5280
06/16/2009, 08:09 PM
Ive read several statements recently that claim Salifert KH test kits may be off as much as 2 dkh. Is there any validity to this, and if so what brand KH test kit would you recomend?
Thanks, Jim.

tmz
06/16/2009, 10:04 PM
They seem to run a little high sometimes, based on a number of user reports. They do provide a reference solution which you can use to verify the kit. . In my experience, the Salifert test is very consistent and easy to use. Their customer service , however, is poor.

firsttank
06/16/2009, 10:57 PM
I use to use API and then I tried salifert...I found it to be more accurate just because I can test the kit with the reference solution.

What I fould that salifert recorded 0.5meq/l higher than the API test kit...but then I checked the test kit with the reference solution and it came 99% close so I determined that the salifert kit was more accurate..

tmz
06/16/2009, 11:26 PM
Yeah but if salifert checked it's reference solution with its own test kit.???lol. I cross check with api and find that .5 or 1.4 or so dkh variation as well. I just think it's very hard to find a reliable hobby test kit at a reasonalbe price. . Since I run alk at 11dk to 12dkh (salifert) I'm not to concerned if it's reading a point or so high but if I were shooting for 7 it could be a problem.

tegee
06/17/2009, 05:49 AM
Relating to this very topic, I just bought an updated Salifert Alk test kit and it came with a 8 dkh reference solution. But did not come with any directions for its use. Dumb question, how do you use the "reference solution" that the test kit came from?

Also, to answer the above question(s) directly, I have Salifert, API and Elos and all are within an acceptable range of each other with no statistical deference in readings of Alk. IMHO if everyone is so concerned about how one companies test kit reads simply use (at least two) different brand kit to double check your tanks parameters. I actually use three: API, Salifert and Elos (Salifert being the most used) and use the other two to keep checks & balances.

Just my two cents.......

tmz
06/17/2009, 08:50 AM
Simply use the reference solution as you would a sample. Perform the test on it. If it reads 8dkh ,then your test kit is in sync with the reference solution which is supposed to be a perfect 8dkh or whatever number is listed.

martinhal
06/22/2009, 12:13 AM
Does this mean that once the test kit is checked to the reference solution the kit is OK up to its expiry date ?

Logzor
06/22/2009, 08:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15205990#post15205990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jim5280
Ive read several statements recently that claim Salifert KH test kits may be off as much as 2 dkh. Is there any validity to this, and if so what brand KH test kit would you recomend?
Thanks, Jim.

I believe I had originally posted this. Only a few people have had the same problem. I must have gotten VERY unlucky and received two bad products at different datas/sources.

jim5280
06/22/2009, 09:41 PM
Shortly after the post I used the 8.0dHK solution that came with the test. I added the entire syringe and just started to see the color change. This tells me that the test is giving me a false high, assuming that the solution is 8.0dKH. I ordered a Lamotte ALK kit, should be here Thursday, and I will post my results.
Thanks, Jim.

ReefWreak
06/23/2009, 11:26 AM
I've just been using the API test kits ever since Salifert had that debacle/dropout with the hobbyists a number of years back. That being said, I still have a bunch of salifert kits sitting around, though as they're expiring, I'm not buying new ones.

If you want more accuracy, half the amount of solution you're adding to the sample or double the amount of sample water you're adding in the beginning. I'm loving how freakin' easy it is to test with the API test kit, after going through all the salifert testing over the years.....

tegee
06/23/2009, 11:44 AM
I agree with you regarding API. I mostly use Salifert, but do use API to double check my readings from time to time. IMHO API is one of the most under rated test kits out there.

With that said can you please elaborate on how you gain more accuracy with the API Alk test. I could not quite figure out exactly how you are recommending getting a more accurate reading from it. Sorry for the dumb question, but just want to make sure I understand how to do it 100%.

Thanks a bunch

tegee
06/26/2009, 03:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15208311#post15208311 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
Simply use the reference solution as you would a sample. Perform the test on it. If it reads 8dkh ,then your test kit is in sync with the reference solution which is supposed to be a perfect 8dkh or whatever number is listed.

Just to make sure, do you still use (2) drops of Alk solution #1 in the test kit when using the reference solution 8dkh???

Thanks

Orr2003
06/26/2009, 04:42 AM
I have a new Salifert Alk kit that I checked against my La Motte Alk kit and they are almost exactly the same. Really really close.
Also the reference solution that came with mine is 8.1dkh and when I checked that solution I got a reading of 7.9/8.0 and the error range of the reference solution is (+/- .3).

Batch number on the reference solutionis T22-0808

Orr2003
06/26/2009, 04:47 AM
Yes you use the kit the same way, you are just using the reference solution instead of tank water.

tegee
06/26/2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks, that is what I thought. I will let everyone know how my most recent Alk kit tests out. My Alk has been reading high so I am curious on what's up??? Thx.

Regal
06/26/2009, 07:09 AM
Just curious, how about Sera test kits? Do they reliable?

tegee
06/26/2009, 07:21 AM
I tried using the reference solution using two drops of solution #1 first and than using the 8 dkh solution and there was no color change using the entire contents of the syringe???

What am I doing wrong?

shawnz28
06/26/2009, 08:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15260677#post15260677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tegee
I tried using the reference solution using two drops of solution #1 first and than using the 8 dkh solution and there was no color change using the entire contents of the syringe???

What am I doing wrong?

Are you adding reference solution to the thin syringe? Or are you using the reagent?

tegee
06/26/2009, 08:38 AM
I am adding the "reference" solution using the 1 ml syringe. I am only using the #1 reagent at 2-drops. This should be very simply and I do not know why Salifert does not offer directions???

jim5280
06/26/2009, 07:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15260910#post15260910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tegee
I am adding the "reference" solution using the 1 ml syringe. I am only using the #1 reagent at 2-drops. This should be very simply and I do not know why Salifert does not offer directions???
I think you use 4cc of reference solution, 2 drops reagent and the 1cc syringe for titration. This is how I've done it in the past, but last time I added 1 cc and had no color change. My Lamotte ALK test arrived and read .5 Dkh lower than Salifet.

tmz
06/26/2009, 07:59 PM
Not sure if you're pulling my leg. But just in case your not.

Just pretend the reference solution is your tank water.

Put 4ml in the sample vial.Add 2 drops of blue/green reagent. Fill syringe with titration soultion . Dispense into vial until color change. Read the syringe. It should read 8.0 if that's the number on your reference solution. Mine does.