PDA

View Full Version : Help Setting Up Geo 6 X 18 Reactor

hilde123
06/16/2009, 08:32 PM
I've had my Geo 6 X 18 Calcium Reactor running for about 2 years and seem to always have trouble keeping a consistant effluent rate. I have a PH probe in the reactor and control it between 6.5 and 6.6. It seems that an effluent rate which is really fast drops just on the edge of a stream works perfect for my setup. Unfortunately, whenever I get it set right, in most cases a few days later it falls back to a slow drip, I adjust it again and this cycle seems to continue. I have the effluent going through another 6 X 12 chamber of calc reactor media to help raise PH before dripping to the system. The ractor is fed of a tee from my return pump which is after the filter socks so I dont think it should be picking up debris. The valve I am using to control the effluent is a 1/4" quickconnect ball valve from home depot. Is there a trick to keep the effluent rate consistant or do I need to use a different valve to control effluent? Thanks

hilde123
06/17/2009, 10:35 PM
bump

Untamed12
06/18/2009, 12:06 AM
The real trick is to eliminate the valve completely and control the water flow using a peristaltic pump.

polypman
06/18/2009, 12:38 PM
On my Geo 618 I use a Maxi Jet 1200 power head to supply it. My drip rate is 2-3 drips per second.

MrSandman
06/19/2009, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15206149#post15206149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hilde123
I've had my Geo 6 X 18 Calcium Reactor running for about 2 years and seem to always have trouble keeping a consistant effluent rate. I have a PH probe in the reactor and control it between 6.5 and 6.6. It seems that an effluent rate which is really fast drops just on the edge of a stream works perfect for my setup. Unfortunately, whenever I get it set right, in most cases a few days later it falls back to a slow drip, I adjust it again and this cycle seems to continue. I have the effluent going through another 6 X 12 chamber of calc reactor media to help raise PH before dripping to the system. The ractor is fed of a tee from my return pump which is after the filter socks so I dont think it should be picking up debris. The valve I am using to control the effluent is a 1/4" quickconnect ball valve from home depot. Is there a trick to keep the effluent rate consistant or do I need to use a different valve to control effluent? Thanks

I had the same problem when running my reactor feed from my return pump. This is because every time i feed the tank, i shut off my return pump. When it kicks back on, the feed rate is different every time. I suggest using a dedicated feed pump that never turns off and controlling the feed rate at the input to the reactor and not the output.

hilde123
06/19/2009, 08:44 PM
On my setup the return pump never turns off even at feedings, so I dont believe that is my problem. Should I try a different type of valve, are the quickdisconnect ball valves prone to difficulties keeping their adjustment.