PDA

View Full Version : 330 gal tank

Katmanblue
06/17/2009, 12:53 PM
A friend of a friend needs to quickly sell a 330g acrylic tank and is willing to part with it for $400. Price is just for the tank, has no canopy, lights, filters, stand, etc. It's just sitting in his garage, a project he never completed. He believes the dimensions are 96x30x30. It's pre-drilled with 2 returns/2 intakes. I have had several reef and f/o tanks in the past, but nothing compared to this size. My question is, if the tank is in decent shape (scratch-wise), is that too good a price to pass? Are there any issues regarding the dimensions--I've only ever had standard 18" wide and 24" deep tanks. Also, how difficult would it be to find a stand for that tank?

snorvich
06/17/2009, 12:59 PM
You can have a stand built (or build it yourself). What is the thickness of the acrylic? 30 inches will require 400 W. lights if you want to do SPS. What kind of overflow box? What type of bracing on the top?

jimmy n
06/17/2009, 01:15 PM
Make sure you consider the cost of the equipment you'll need to run it. Skimmer, Lights, pumps, rocks/sand etc. 400 bucks is cheap, but it will commit you to a much larger sum in the longrun.

Sounds like a good deal though.

unstopable
06/17/2009, 01:16 PM
you have to put in perspective how much it will cost to set up and maintain before you make the purchase.

ReefWreak
06/17/2009, 01:21 PM
It shouldn't be too difficult to find a stand builder, considering how many custom tank builders there are down here. If you do pass up on it, let me know (PM) and I'll strongly consider grabbing that tank :D

Call Barrier Reef in Boca and ask about custom work for the stand if you're interested, or I'm sure there are a lot of builders around here who would be more than happy to do it. Or just enlist the help of someone from the local clubs, either FMAS or PBMAS who would be willing to help. Go into the forums and ask around. There are many people with large tanks like that, who know where and the costs and who to build stands that size.

ReefWreak
06/17/2009, 01:24 PM
And for depth like that you really need good reflectors for whatever lighting you go on.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask via PM or AIM, as I've been helping a number of people set up tanks of that large dimension recently, so it's fresh on my mind. Just let me know and welcome!

Katmanblue
06/17/2009, 01:25 PM
All good stuff, thx. I'm going to try to head over to his house tonight to take a look at it. Unfortunately he's very ill (hence the quick sale). I also dont want to appear to be a vulture hovering around to make a steal. And trust me, I know what I would be in for as far as skimmers, sumps, filters, sand, rocks, etc $$. But I've been wanting to step up to a large tank and this has really piqued me.
Barrier is a good place to start, thx for that idea.
I'll update if I'm able to check it out tonight.

ReefWreak
06/17/2009, 01:36 PM
before buying anything at Barrier, let me help you save a few bucks, and bounce your ideas off of me. I mean, I certainly have no place telling you what to do, but I want to help a fellow hobbyist as much as possible. Good luck, and I hope your friend gets better!

DamnPepShrimp
06/17/2009, 02:27 PM
Buy it! $400 is a steal! Make it a FOWLR tank and have a smaller reef instead. You don't need much to run a fish only setup. You could always buy it, then if you couldn't use it, sell it and easily get your money back plus make a few bucks.

Katmanblue
06/17/2009, 02:39 PM
LOL...besides, I could always live in it if my other 1/2 kicks me out of the house....I think it's bigger than my old college dorm room.

barraganbp1
06/17/2009, 04:24 PM
I agree with DamnPepShrimp buy it and if you cant put it together sell it and make a few bucks. And even if its scatched, acrylic can be refinished fairly easily.

Katmanblue
06/18/2009, 07:49 AM
Well, I went to check out the tank last night. You know that saying, "if it sounds too good to be true...." The tank, described on the phone as "gently used" had become the spare tool box, lawn equipment storage bin. Minor scratches were actually major gouges and chips and a can of motor oil and gasoline had spilled in the bottom and dried over many months. And since I actually made the drive to this guys house he rewarded me by bumping the price from $400 to $1000 (I think I have his wife to thank for that). Anyway, even if all those hurdles could be overcome, the thing is a monster; a full 8 feet long, 3' wide, 3' deep. Let's just say when I floated the idea to my spouse, it was not warmly received.
But the good news is that now I can easily buy a more reasonably sized tank/stand and it will seem like I made a major compromise, so all in all, the drive was worth it...LOL...

Thanks all that responded, I'm sure when I do buy the next tank I'll be back on with more questions...

Imzadi
06/18/2009, 08:12 AM
That is just criminal! lol

Least you will have a greenlight on a 'smaller' tank, especially it your bar is set at 'less than a grand' lol

Happy Hunting.

Lightsluvr
06/18/2009, 10:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15214538#post15214538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Katmanblue
Well, I went to check out the tank last night. You know that saying, "if it sounds too good to be true...." The tank, described on the phone as "gently used" had become the spare tool box, lawn equipment storage bin. Minor scratches were actually major gouges and chips and a can of motor oil and gasoline had spilled in the bottom and dried over many months. And since I actually made the drive to this guys house he rewarded me by bumping the price from $400 to $1000 (I think I have his wife to thank for that).

I wouldn't trust anything that guy tried to sell, at any price. Obviously he knowingly mispresented the tank, and once he thought he had you hooked, he jacked up the price...What a jerk.

JMHO.

LL