PDA

View Full Version : Power out

JTL
06/17/2009, 02:49 PM
Well, it isn't out yet but where I live in SWFL it will be. We have had two day outages several times during the summer and that is w/o a hurricane or tropical storm. Anyway, what would you do to preserve a 50 gal tank for a couple of days. Are there battery backup air pumps? I can easily do partial water changes if that would be the solution.

shaginwagon13
06/17/2009, 03:27 PM
Coral and fish will be fine without lights for a couple days. All you really need is an air stone and maybe 2-3 cheap maxijet 1200's to keep the water moving and youll be fine.

You could buy a gas powered backup generator if your willing to break the bank. Home Depot sells them for around $500-$1000

danikowa
06/17/2009, 04:18 PM
I have used a "Husky Power Pack" to run a single small circulation pump for almost 2 days after an outage in the past.

wab
06/17/2009, 04:38 PM
You can get 12v pumps they might be for a sump or boat bilge and a car battery with a solar charger. Good luck

Crustman
06/17/2009, 05:17 PM
Without power, your home AC will not work and you will have to keep the tank temps down. Temps are about 95 here today. Stock up on ice and keep bags of this in the sump. I dread another hurricane here. At least my subdivision has underground wires.

JTL
06/17/2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks. Ice is crucial. We live 3 blocks from the Gulf if a hurricane hits us the fish will be least of my worries. Above ground wires and lots of trees = power outages.

jayk198030
06/17/2009, 08:04 PM
like shaginwagon13 said

gas powered backup generator

buy a big one!

save your fish and food with a generator. have a light and fan on and it still will be life at the beach. i prefer to use beer instead of ice cubes. more volume and i still get to enjoy them. LOL

waterworld2
06/17/2009, 08:17 PM
I have used power inverters that hook to a car battery t orun my tank for two days. I would just run the car every hour for 10 minutes to charge the battery. I plugged in a small pump to circulate water, and an air pump. I was lucky as the outside temp was about 85 so I did not need to heat or cool.
WW

RWITT
06/17/2009, 08:36 PM
i am in sofl i put sometype of pump in the sump 12 volt or 110 into the sumpthe keep the flow moving thought out the system.

but i am more concerned with the heat when the power goes off. As it will cook everything, espsecicaly with limited flow

acrouse
06/17/2009, 09:21 PM
Too help with temperature.

Use small to medium sized water bottles filled with water and freeze.

Leave about 1 1/2 inch at top unfilled for expansion. (They will stay frozen in your freezer for a couple days if you do not open the freezer often), or pack them in a cooler with ice around them.

They are easy to place in the sump or tank and I find they last longer than ice cubes. You also do not have to worry about a bag breaking in your tank.

Just make sure you use new water bottles(rinse outside well and take labels off.)

Hope this helps
Jolene

acrouse
06/17/2009, 09:50 PM
I forgot to mention. Dont throw away the bottles when thawed. Save them and reuse them. (obviouslyyou cant refreeze right away with no power), but put them back in the freezer for later.

I always have 6-7 on hand so they are ready to go, as we get several power outages during hot summer months from high winds and severe thunderstorms.

jolene

Frenchcrkcorals
06/17/2009, 10:32 PM
I would use two or three battery powered air stones.

Whys
06/17/2009, 11:34 PM
An inverter with a deep-cycle marine battery works great. The TrippLite APS-700 is designed for automatic backup power. Higher wattage is also available.

+1 on frozen bottles. I'll have to start doing that, just in case.