PDA

View Full Version : Glued the sump last night...

bolandess
06/17/2009, 02:58 PM
...and I tried to follow melevs way of shimming the two pieces apart a few thousandths of an inch and when I went to pull the shims the piece fell with it. I tried to salvage it as fast as I could, ran a new bead of Weld On 4, and it held but I'm not sure how water tight it will be.

Can I use some sort of RTV or caulking to seal the edges or will this be toxic to the fish? I remember seeing RTV on the seams of the tank but I just want to make sure.

Thanks for the help!

Bo

Kur
06/17/2009, 04:04 PM
You can use weld on 16 I think. It is a much thicker version of weld on 4 that you can use to fill spaces and seal seams.

It might not look as pretty when you are done, but it will be sealed.

I've also read that you can essentially make weld on 16 by dissolving acrylic shavings in weld on 4 until it gets to a good thick consistency. Once you apply that to your seam it will fill any spaces and bond up strong.

troylee
06/17/2009, 05:07 PM
Use the weldon 16 or for better results weldon 40/42......how did the piece fall???? All 4 walls should be glued up first then the bottom.....with some kind of 90 to hold it in place....

houser
06/17/2009, 05:53 PM
I had to use some 16 just the other day on a little project "just to make sure". Never used it before (just #4).
I just tilted it up at 45 degrees and ran a fat fillet in there. Actually turned out pretty nice. Definitely shrunk up some so I don't regret putting that fat fillet in there at all...
Open the windows when you do it it outgasses for a while.

uncleof6
06/17/2009, 09:57 PM
Why ventilate? That is part of the fun of working with acrylic ain't it? The BUZZ..........

Jim