PDA

View Full Version : caribsea aquascaping rocks

JMreefer
06/17/2009, 07:00 PM
Good day all! In the perpetual quest for cheaper alternatives I've come across two different rocks sold by Caribsea as "aquascaping rocks". Specifically "Reef Rock", and "South Seas Rock". The former being petrified coral and the latter being calcium carbonate base rock harvested from terrestrial sources. http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/aquascaping.html

They seem to be quite porous and the FAQs for them indicate that they are a good substrate to which coraline algae will attach. The rock is priced quite reasonably and I think I can get it locally. I am contemplating using this rock as the backbone of my filtration and then seeding it with maybe 10-20lbs of premium Fiji live rock or equivalent.

Have any of you ever used either of these with a similar strategy and had success?

VacavilleFC3S
06/17/2009, 08:13 PM
you can get the same thing from marco-rocks or reefcleaners.org

1DeR9_3Hy
06/17/2009, 10:08 PM
I used the reef rock for my current setup, while it is nice i wish i would have sprung for the lace rock. Also, if you do pick up a box or two see if you can open up as many as possible and cherry pick the rocks.

If they let you, you can get out of there with some really nice brancy/curvy pieces for $2 lbs!

drummereef
06/17/2009, 11:44 PM
JMreefer,

[welcome]

JMreefer
06/18/2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the help.

monotreme_man
06/18/2009, 05:17 PM
+1 reefcleaners.org rock.

it is really nice, although i got the best results by asking for
"larger pieces", which apparently means pieces roughly
cylindrical about 4in in diameter and about 8in long.