PDA

View Full Version : Piping my drains?

chops29
06/17/2009, 11:46 PM
I have a 120 gal. All glass with 2 overflows. The pipes are 1 1/4 in. coming into a 1 1/2 in horziontal. That will feed my fuge and skimmer plus a ball valve to the return incase there is to much flow into either. Question is the 1.25 into 1.5 is that to small should I go bigger?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/statue27/tankbuild014.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/statue27/tankbuild017.jpg

VacavilleFC3S
06/18/2009, 01:20 AM
something doesn't look right,

how are you feeding the left side of the sump thats not pictured behind the tallest baffle?? also why bother putting the protein skimmer behind the bubble trap?

it's going to be very loud the way you have the drains connected together via 90's going together, it's going to create alot of back pressure and probably some surging.

chops29
06/18/2009, 01:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15213798#post15213798 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VacavilleFC3S

how are you feeding the left side of the sump thats not pictured behind the tallest baffle??

This is actually mid construction. I stoped sat down looked at it. and said the same thing something doesn't look right bettter ask. lol Orginally I planed on the Fuge being supllied via a ball valve comeing from the left side Sanitary T.

VacavilleFC3S
06/18/2009, 02:01 AM
don't use a ball valve, use a gate valve. ball valves are for on/off flow and aren't as accurately adjustable

billdogg
06/18/2009, 05:51 AM
if it were mine, i would not t the drains together at all. there is no reason to do so. I would also scrap the ball(or gate) valves altogether. IMO, you should NEVER restrict the drains - if there is a problem with too much flow, put a valve on the output of the return pump. restricting the drain flow in any way is asking for a flood. maybe not right away, but sooner or later, it will cause problems.

what (and where) is your return pump? it looks to me, the way your bubble trap is set up, that the skimmer is sitting in the return area. I would think it would be better off to the far left in the picture, with the return pump sitting where it currently is.

dave2184
06/18/2009, 08:54 AM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/xm20k/Untitled-1.jpg

I think this was what he may have been going for. With the skimmer tied into the drain line on that side.

Excuse the crude mock up it was 30sec in paint.

Lyotim88
06/18/2009, 09:43 AM
you could also run one drain straight to the skimmer and T the line going to the fuge, with one of them going to the drain. This way, you have 75% flow to the skimmer and 25% to the fuge, melev said to do that and it seems like a good plan

EnglishRebel
06/18/2009, 12:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15214103#post15214103 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billdogg
if it were mine, i would not t the drains together at all. there is no reason to do so. I would also scrap the ball(or gate) valves altogether. IMO, you should NEVER restrict the drains - if there is a problem with too much flow, put a valve on the output of the return pump. restricting the drain flow in any way is asking for a flood. maybe not right away, but sooner or later, it will cause problems.

what (and where) is your return pump? it looks to me, the way your bubble trap is set up, that the skimmer is sitting in the return area. I would think it would be better off to the far left in the picture, with the return pump sitting where it currently is.

++++++ on that.

chops29
06/19/2009, 12:53 AM
Thank you all for the responses. Dave that picture is what I'm trying to go for Fuge-return-skimmer. From one of the models Melev shows on his site. For a return pump I have an Oceanrunner 3500 it's not plumbed in yet as I thought it best to stop and ask before procedding. Looks like it's good I did. :eek2: I'll have to see about doing alittle rework Tommorrow. Again thank you for the help.

cloak
06/19/2009, 03:12 AM
It's all one body of water.

Pipes & baffles, baffles & pipes.

;)