PDA

View Full Version : Gotta See this

mr.reef24
06/18/2009, 02:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE2JVo4a3fE

what is going threw your mind when you watch this?

mr.reef24

lancer99
06/18/2009, 03:42 AM
What's going through my mind is that, even if all of the fish aren't dead in 24 hours, that's animal cruelty, and I hope whoever perpetrated this "event" will be prosecuted to the full extent of any applicable laws.

-R

ludnix
06/18/2009, 03:53 AM
I'm curious whether it's saltwater or freshwater. I assume freshwater since that would be easier and they clearly do know what they are doing.

lancer99
06/18/2009, 04:27 AM
Yes, they clearly know how to throw a bunch of saltwater and freshwater fish into a tank.

-R

snorvich
06/18/2009, 04:40 AM
That is horrible.

adtravels
06/18/2009, 04:46 AM
It will be water at a low s.g 1.015 or somthing they may have brought the fw fish up to this prior to the "show".

Biologist
06/18/2009, 06:13 AM
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3683855.html

lancer99
06/18/2009, 06:24 AM
Old news, yawn.....a "biologist" should know better.

Are there any studies that show the longevity of either fresh- or salt- water species in this silly mix? Or corals, which some on this forum might be interested in?

I think the compound to be added is probably "snake oil."

Hard to believe that anyone would be fooled by this crap.

-R

TheDogFather
06/18/2009, 06:37 AM
Nature did not intend for fresh water and marine species to co-exist in the same environment. This is a classic example of mankind's need to impose his will on nature.

This "Magical Water" is coming out of Asia where many people keep fish for purely ascetic reasons or as good luck charms with little or no regard to the animals well being.

Just because something is technically possible doesn't mean it should be done. I'm hoping this will never catch on in the western world.

Sick and disgusted. :mad:

-TDF

LobsterOfJustice
06/18/2009, 07:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15214249#post15214249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheDogFather
Nature did not intend for fresh water and marine species to co-exist in the same environment. This is a classic example of mankind's need to impose his will on nature.

This "Magical Water" is coming out of Asia where many people keep fish for purely ascetic reasons or as good luck charms with little or no regard to the animals well being.

Just because something is technically possible doesn't mean it should be done. I'm hoping this will never catch on in the western world.

Sick and disgusted. :mad:

-TDF

I can almost guarantee that you have some things in your tank that nature did not intend on co-existing. Obviously not as extreme as the fresh/salt difference, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and it's not clearly defined. There is a continuum from fresh to brackish to salt.

I'm not supporting this, because I really doubt that this can in any way be healthy for both types of fish involved. It is worth pointing out though, that short term, saltwater fish can obviously survive hyposalinity conditions (1.009 for weeks). And I know at least some of the fish in the video, the livebearers, are naturally brackish and can easily survive in full saltwater. So it's not that much of a stretch. Long-term however this would not be good for the fish.

lancer99
06/18/2009, 07:52 AM
....I can almost guarantee that you have some things in your tank that nature did not intend on co-existing...

Like fish and skimmers? :)

Nature doesn't "intend" anything. Saltwater fish evolved in saltwater, and freshwater fish evolved in fresh water.

...So it's not that much of a stretch...
It's a stretch to believe that any responsible aquarium keeper would be so silly as to try this.

... Long-term however this would not be good for the fish.

Indeed!

-R
PS LoJ, sorry for giving you a hard time! I just hate this sort of thing :)

RumLad
06/18/2009, 07:53 AM
What's wrong with putting brackish live bearers in saltwater? There have been quite a few threads on here about folks using mollies to rid their tanks of hair algae. No one seemed up in arms about that. They are indeed brackish fish and can survive quite well in saltwater.
I don't personally go for the snake oil bit, but hey ho, each their own.

BFG
06/18/2009, 08:19 AM
Yep, the short film you are watching occured during a trade show called Aquarama 2009 in Singapore. The trader company is from Japan selling by the brand GEX as you can see from the film. Personally, I've seen clownfish, a few goldfish, gourami, guppy and even a seahorse. What I was told that the salinity was between 1.008 to 1.010 if I'm not wrong. Didn't stay long at that booth as it felt unnatural to me.

The GEX brand is well known in the freshwater industry in Singapore. Do a search on that brand, I'm sure you guys and gals could send your opinion to them. What I heard is that they use some 'magic powder' to attain that exhibit. But I wondered for myself how long did all the livestock in that tank been acclimatised. There's a positive side to the trade show in that there are lesser number of traders selling dye injected freshwater fish than a few years ago.

reefing102
06/18/2009, 08:23 AM
its interesting yet very stupid, the colors don't go together all that well - I mean guppys and I believe goldfish, with clownfish?? It wouldn't suprise me that the goldfish will have eaten alot of the other fish.

Skeptic_07
06/18/2009, 08:49 AM
read:

http://glassbox-design.com/2009/freshwater-and-saltwater-fish-live-together-in-koutekikankyousui/

Biologist
06/18/2009, 09:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15214202#post15214202 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lancer99
Old news, yawn.....a "biologist" should know better.

-R

I'm not saying anything other than providing info on how they might be doing this. It seems the patent describes a method whereby they lower the salinity to ~1/3 the salinity of seawater and make up the osmotic pressure loss with organic compounds and polymerized silicate compounds. I don't understand how they expect the freshwater fish to deal with the still very high osmolarity (it will be at a high seawater level), but I haven't read the whole patent. Maybe freshwater fish don't have problems with high osmolarity? I don't know enough to say.

rendogg
06/18/2009, 10:06 AM
I am not advocating this because it's gimmicky and tasteless, but it's reality.

Since freshwater fish originated from the sea it's not a stretch to adapt them to saline conditions, it's less of a stretch to adapt fresh to salt than vice-versa. It is done in aquaculture facilities in the middle east without a problem because fresh water is a valuable and limited commodity and the fish are easily adapted. People have been using salt in their freshwater aquariums for a very long time to prevent disease and it has proven harmless for most species.

All in all, lame but definitely possible.

reefboy1994
06/18/2009, 10:17 AM
i acclimated a freshwater mollie to saltwater over a 2 week periond. hes very happy in my tank and ive never seen one as active and natural looking in a FW tank.

pelochas
06/18/2009, 01:34 PM
well fish and corals were never intended to be stuck in a glass box either but we all do this and yet i still find this horribly wrong

luther1200
06/18/2009, 02:29 PM
I was thinking why the H)@$ would I want freshwater fish in my reef tank.

Skeptic_07
06/18/2009, 02:35 PM
I don't think inverts would be compatible with this.....

ddinox64
06/18/2009, 06:58 PM

"Nature doesn't "intend" anything. Saltwater fish evolved in saltwater, and freshwater fish evolved in fresh water".

Somebody better go tell the salmon that they can nolonger go out to sea to grow then swim up a freshwater stream to spawn.

dudley moray
06/18/2009, 07:07 PM
i put goldfish and guppies in my eel tank they live just fine swimming around ...until consumed mind you but freshies can be in salt water for some time .... bait and switch marketing if you ask me