PDA

View Full Version : food questions

neupane00
06/18/2009, 12:25 PM
hey guys, can i feed my freshwater food to the marine fish?
like : freeze dried shrimp brine, tetra tropical crisps, hikari freeze dried bloodwork, hikari freeze dried tubifex, tetra crab micro granules .. etc?

steri
06/18/2009, 01:17 PM
I don't know the answers to most of those, but I have heard a few times that bloodworms are bad for saltwater fish. I can't remember exactly why though, outside of it being an un-natural food source.

cwbhawk
06/18/2009, 01:55 PM
I think all but the tetra tropical crisps and tubifex worms would be fine. But the tetra tropical crisps are made for freshwater so the marine fish wouldn't get much nutrition from it. Your fish would get more nutrients from foods that are formulated for saltwater fish, or foods that are acceptable for either fresh or salt. Im not sure whether or not tubifex is good for marine fish, and I haven't heard of anyone trying it for their saltwater tank, but im sure someone knows that answer

Biologist
06/18/2009, 02:18 PM
I think food is food, and your fish will probably like it all, but some of the reef flakes do say "low phosphorous" if you are trying to keep that low.

wab
06/18/2009, 02:24 PM
I give my fish frozen fresh water food as a change of pace and it disappears just as fast as the salt water frozen. imop same stuff

neupane00
06/18/2009, 05:15 PM
really? so i can feed anything for freshwater to saltwater? also i am worried about what would contribute to stuff that my corals/ reef stuff wont like.. u know.

neupane00
06/18/2009, 05:17 PM
also what kinda frozen food do u feed marine fish? all i see in my local fish store is stuff like frozen tubifex, frozen blood worm.. etc. What kinda frozen food is good for marine fish?