PDA

View Full Version : golden puffer questions

sean A.
06/18/2009, 02:57 PM
My LFS has a Golden Puffer for a real good price. He is about 6-7". How big due they get. I have a 135g FOWLR that i'm setting up. Will he be good with Angels & a Black Trigger?

triggerfreak
06/18/2009, 06:50 PM
When it comes to puffers they stay on the smaller end.they tend to max out around 10 inches or so, i think.Just watch it with the trigger.They are not a aggressive puffer and are acceptable to others picking on them.

sean A.
06/18/2009, 08:28 PM
Ok thank you Triggerfreak. Now are they good with Angels?

triggerfreak
06/18/2009, 08:31 PM
Think of a golden puffer as a big baby.If a fish will pick on it it is not ok with it.I would think angels should be ok.But some can get pretty mean.It also will depend on the fish and size of each one also.<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15219185#post15219185 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sean A.
Ok thank you Triggerfreak. Now are they good with Angels?

predator 1
06/19/2009, 12:35 AM
I keep my Golden with some real mean predators, and they all live in perfect harmony. There has only ever been one incident when the Plectropomus grouper bit the Arothron, and that was during a feeding frenzy, so I am sure it was accidental.
Believe me, other fish are aware of the toxins that reside in puffers.

rguyler
06/19/2009, 11:14 AM
I have a miniatus that will go after anything, even my arothron. No real damage occurs but they tango quite often. Both are in timeout as we speak. lol

I've never had a mean puffer of any variety. By that I mean I've never really had one go after another fish unprovoked. They will defend themselves when attacked but I think of puffers as fairly docile fish that will live with about anything, except very small fish and inverts. You can even have pretty good luck with adding puffers together although there you might be walking a tightrope if they are similar types. You know...like brothers fighting.

According to fishbase, Arothron meleagris (your golden puffer) can reach up to 45cm or about 18 inches. That's probably in the wild so I doubt you will get near that in a tank.

sean A.
06/19/2009, 05:13 PM
thanks for all of the info. I am definately considering getting this Golden Puffer.

rguyler
06/20/2009, 07:40 PM
I'm totally jealous. If I could get one locally I'd get one this minute. I hate the thought of mail ordering a fish but I may have to in order to get one. Where did you say you found that one? :)

Sean, get it! Then show us the pics! Do it! Do it! Get that fish!

triggerfreak
06/20/2009, 08:10 PM
N Y Aquatic online has one right now and it is at a great price.And i have heard they are a great place to order from.<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15229646#post15229646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rguyler
I'm totally jealous. If I could get one locally I'd get one this minute. I hate the thought of mail ordering a fish but I may have to in order to get one. Where did you say you found that one? :)

Sean, get it! Then show us the pics! Do it! Do it! Get that fish!

rguyler
06/20/2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks TF! I've never heard of them til now but a good place to order from you say? Their website leaves something to be desired for sure lol.

Too bad the Goldie isn't one of their WYSIWYG selections. I would have liked to see a real picture of him. The price is great though so I'll have to consider it. Still not thrilled to mail order though.

triggerfreak
06/20/2009, 08:52 PM
I would call them on it.i know of some local people that have ordered from them with no problems and praise them.Also i know there are some big names hear in the aggressive forums that have ordered from them.Hopefully they will chime in for you also.Like i said call them, that may be the exact puffer in the pic.if you get a golden you won't be dissapointed.I just got my replacement one and he is awsome and has such character.<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15230039#post15230039 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rguyler
Thanks TF! I've never heard of them til now but a good place to order from you say? Their website leaves something to be desired for sure lol.

Too bad the Goldie isn't one of their WYSIWYG selections. I would have liked to see a real picture of him. The price is great though so I'll have to consider it. Still not thrilled to mail order though.

triggerfreak
06/20/2009, 08:53 PM
Oh and the shipping would be nothing time wise from new york to ohio.

rguyler
06/20/2009, 10:49 PM
I searched on RC (one of the few times I could actually get in) and found a few references about NY Aquatics. I believe they were all positive except that they give no guarantee beyond live arrival. Still, could be worth a chance. Thanks again for the heads-up.

sean A.
06/20/2009, 11:46 PM
yeah my LFS is selling this one for $250 but they don't guarantee them.

triggerfreak
06/21/2009, 07:05 AM
Yeah it is very hard to get a guarantee past arrive alive.I only have 1 local store that has a guarantee on there fish and that is because they also sell online and are trying to compete with live aquarias guarantee.<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15230736#post15230736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sean A.
yeah my LFS is selling this one for $250 but they don't guarantee them.

MatthewLaw
06/21/2009, 10:54 AM
Have you tried vividaquarium? That store has a 15 day guarantee past arrival. I got my dogface puffer from them and he is doing well.

LisaD
06/21/2009, 11:15 AM
I thought golden puffers got bigger than 10". Aren't they a color morph of the guinea fowl puffer, Arothron meleagris? Those puffers are listed as getting 50 cm, or over 18" long!

Golden dogface puffers are rarer, and don't have exactly the same coloration, but they will stay smaller, about 10-13". There are other nice color morphs of dogface puffers - dalmation, black, etc.

rguyler
06/21/2009, 07:29 PM
I've looked at all of the "better" online fish suppliers and either they don't have them in stock or they want $400+ for it and I'm not going to pay that much for one. One thing I've learned over the years is to be patient so I'm in no rush. I've got a great local supplier who used to be a wholesaler so I might talk to him about getting me one. He's got a beautiful black dogface right now for $200 and he's good sized but I really want a golden. Just picky I guess. lol

rguyler
06/21/2009, 07:45 PM
LisaD, they are the same fish from what I've read. The guinea fowl is the juvenile coloration of the golden although once you take it captive for the aquarium I guess it's rare that they will change to the golden color.

LisaD
06/22/2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks rguyler. The OP was asking about a golden puffer for a 135, and how big do they get?

Triggerfreak posted:
When it comes to puffers they stay on the smaller end.they tend to max out around 10 inches or so, i think.Just watch it with the trigger.They are not a aggressive puffer and are acceptable to others picking on them.

Since they are A. meleagris, I don't think a 135 is going to be big enough to keep that species for life. I dogface puffer would be a better choice for a 135, IMO.

sean A.
06/22/2009, 07:07 AM
Thank you LisaD. Now as far as Dogface Suffers go, I would like to get one that a lil rare n somewhat colorful. Are there any like that out there?

LisaD
06/22/2009, 07:46 AM
Get this one immediately - I have hardly ever seen one like it, and price is good. I'm serious, these are very uncommon and hardly ever this price. If I didn't already have a dogface puffer, I'd buy it.

http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=5472

You can also get dalmation (black and white) or black - both color morphs are from the Solomon Islands, and are available from time to time - check bluezooaquatics or liveaquaria Diver's Den.

unleashed13
06/22/2009, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15234326#post15234326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rguyler
I've looked at all of the "better" online fish suppliers and either they don't have them in stock or they want $400+ for it and I'm not going to pay that much for one. One thing I've learned over the years is to be patient so I'm in no rush. I've got a great local supplier who used to be a wholesaler so I might talk to him about getting me one. He's got a beautiful black dogface right now for $200 and he's good sized but I really want a golden. Just picky I guess. lol if you trust your supplier than hes your best bet ..sometimes its not always about the money if you can get one that is healthy and what you want.

MatthewLaw
06/22/2009, 02:04 PM
wow that is a great price..suspiciously low?

sean A.
06/22/2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah I know Its a real good price. He's already 7" already

LisaD
06/22/2009, 03:33 PM
I've had good luck with reefhotspot, and they stand behind the guarantee. Seems kind of low, but maybe the economy has depressed demand, and maybe they got it at a good price. *shrugs*

unleashed13
06/22/2009, 04:28 PM
maybe it was a trade in? sometimes that sets a better price

sean A.
06/22/2009, 09:38 PM
I'll have to check on that.