PDA

View Full Version : Green Finger Leather Coral Problem

SharkMaster
06/18/2009, 05:57 PM
Hi All,

Recently like two days ago i Have bought the Finger Leather Green Coral, it was look very nice on the begining...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=275228&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

But after two days....

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=275231&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=500

It losing color, and thin skin is felling of his body.

I have good water condisions, however my liight is only 216w for 72 gal tank. First time I placed it in the middle but when it starts losing colors I move it up. My water temperature gets high arround 79F
Please advice if you have any ideas what is happening.

Thank you

VacavilleFC3S
06/18/2009, 06:32 PM
something is very wrong if your leather is starting to melt in only 2 days. have you ever seen polyp extension from it???

what are your parameters including PH and ALK??

move it farther down the tank, your lighting might be alittle to much for it right off the back but it's doubtful being only 200w

SharkMaster
06/18/2009, 08:32 PM
No I haven't seen any polyps yet.

Ph is 8.3 but i have no info about ALK, however I have some mushroom corals as well and those are fine since the tank was established. The grreen coral is the first i bought for teststing the water quality.

I have like 4 bulbs T5 54W each, does it to strong for this type of corals?

Mariner
06/18/2009, 08:40 PM
Your light is fine and your temp is perfect. The best thing you can do is stop moving it. Leather corals are very sensitive to changes in their surroundings or placement. Right now its shedding "skin" (which they do occasionally anyway), but this has probably been brought on by the stress of its new surroundings. Leave it alone for a few days. Keep your water quality high. Run some extra carbon if you can. It should perk up.
HTH,
Mariner

BurntOutReefer
06/18/2009, 09:50 PM
What Mariner said...this is a normal cycle that all leather go thorugh...
I "cleans" the coral from unwanted pests and is part of the growing cycl....kinda like a snake sheeding its skin.
Give it a couple days, and it will be bigger and better then ever....and yes, pls stop moving it around

thedoctor06
06/18/2009, 10:05 PM
Those things are virtually unkillable. I had to completely remove the rock mine was on when I got rid of mine. When I cut it, it'd grow back. Kalk paste..grew back. Put it under an incandescent bulb in the fuge, kept on growing. Give it some time. If after a week it still looks bad, update your thread

VacavilleFC3S
06/19/2009, 12:07 AM
they also shed from time to time i forgot to mention that,

SharkMaster
06/19/2009, 06:37 AM
Thank you all, I will post it's status next week :-)

SharkMaster
06/19/2009, 11:56 AM
[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=275250

good news
well I think it's started to open...

TwistedEnvy
06/19/2009, 02:23 PM
Is it true for all colors of devils hands that they are hard to kill? I have a purple one and the polyps have not been extended for about 4 days.