PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this creature in my tank??

bsclarinet
06/18/2009, 07:27 PM
I have had my 45 gallon tank set up for about 2 months or so. I have live rock and live sand. On Monday I purchased an O. clown to add to my tank, and I also purchased a small amount of extra live rock to add because it had some really nice purple and pink color on it and I wanted to use the small pieces as accents for what I already had. Today I noticed a teeny tiny white and brown speck moving on my glass. Upon further inspection, I found 4 more of these. They almost look like tiny snails, but I'm not sure where they came from. Perhaps on the new rock I bought? When I say tiny, I mean seriously little....like maybe the size of a pinhead. I thought they were copepods at first, but when I looked at them really close, I can see that they are not. So does anyone have any idea what these could be? And are they bad for my tank? Or beneficial? I know I'm asking a lot considering I don't have a picture, but honestly, I don't think I could even get a picture because they are so small.

Thanks in advance for any help. :confused:

jim5280
06/18/2009, 08:32 PM
flatworms?

SKremk
06/18/2009, 08:35 PM
Collonista snails?

bsclarinet
06/18/2009, 08:40 PM
Definitely not flatworms. I looked up some pictures, and I they don't look like that. Also, I should have mentioned that they have little antennas like a snail also. Could possibly be collonistas. They won't do any harm, right?

mikid
06/18/2009, 09:05 PM
snails...........................................:rollface:

bsclarinet
06/18/2009, 09:06 PM
UPDATE: I just checked out my tank again and I found 2 of these....well I'll call them snails cause I'm pretty sure they are some type of snail now. And they have brown cone-shaped shells. So I'm guessing they are not collonistas because they have round shells like turbos.

PRDubois
06/19/2009, 12:37 AM
Not little star fish without the defined legs yet? They do not have a shell, but are brown on top. White on the bottom or glass side.

davew0670
06/19/2009, 04:46 AM
keyhole limpet?

http://www.junglewalk.com/animal-pictures/642/Rough-keyhole-limpet-8121.jpg

bsclarinet
06/19/2009, 08:03 AM
PRDubois - I WISH they were little starfish. I'd rather find that kind of surprise, rather than more snails. lol.

dave - I don't think they are limpets. Their shells don't look like that.

Could they possibly be baby cerith snails?? Or nerites? The shells seem to have an elongated shape to them. Of course it's difficult to say cause they're so dang tiny!

cwbhawk
06/19/2009, 10:35 AM
Possibly just baby snails? I see some in my tank early in the morining and at night. They don't seem to come out much during the day.

Superstretch18
06/19/2009, 10:41 AM
More than likely, if it has a shell shaped like a turbo snail, it's a collonista snail. Check here for a picture:

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/collonista.html

Korrine
06/19/2009, 11:03 AM
Try buying a magnifying glass and try to get pictures through that. That's worked for me in some instances. Mag. glass are quite cheap too.

Paul B
06/19/2009, 11:06 AM
Loch Ness has one of those

dudley moray
06/19/2009, 01:33 PM
probably stomatella snails prolific breeders very beneficial

seapug
06/19/2009, 01:52 PM
If they are tiny white snails with pointed shells they might be Pyram snails. In sufficient numbers they can be a problem for snails and clams, which they prey upon. I had a serious problem with them in my tank until I added a leopard wrasse.

If they look like tiny Turbo snails with variably striped shells they are probably Collonista snails. Those are perfectly harmless.

bsclarinet
06/21/2009, 10:31 AM
The snails are white and the shells are definitely pointed and they are brown. After feeding my fish this morning, I decided to wipe down the exterior glass to get fingerprints, etc. off. While doing this, I noticed something white on of my new rocks. I looked closer, and it looks similar to this: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/MolluscPIX/Gastropods/Prosobranch%20PIX/Cerithids/06060912251%5B1%5D%20snail%20eggs.jpg

....only not as long, and it's laying on a piece of rock. So could it be snail eggs, and thus how I got these baby snails?