PDA

View Full Version : determining 2 part dosing rate

platax88
06/18/2009, 09:04 PM
Hi guys,

Until recently I have only used kalk to maintain alk/cal levels. This has proven insufficient and I have purchased a 2 part kit from BRS. I am currently working on slowly boosting levels to the target but I am unsure of how to determine daily dosing rate.

Any tips? :)

Thanks!

sjm817
06/18/2009, 09:16 PM
Use the Reef Chemistry Calculator. Very nice work done by JDieck
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

redhanded77
06/18/2009, 09:16 PM
it all depends on tank size and the amount of corals you have in your tank. on BRS, they have a general dosing rate that you can check out. i started with that to get general figures, and i adjusted accordingly depending on how much alk and calcium my tank used.

i say start with the minimum recommendation and test every 3-4 days. if levels are too high or too low, you can adjust how much you are dosing until you get it where you want it to be.

platax88
06/18/2009, 09:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15219509#post15219509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redhanded77
it all depends on tank size and the amount of corals you have in your tank. on BRS, they have a general dosing rate that you can check out. i started with that to get general figures, and i adjusted accordingly depending on how much alk and calcium my tank used.

i say start with the minimum recommendation and test every 3-4 days. if levels are too high or too low, you can adjust how much you are dosing until you get it where you want it to be.

Thanks ... it just seems like such a trial and error approach.

I think i once read somewhere to test and then retest a week later. Divide the difference by 7 and it will give my daily consumption. Then use the calculator to determine my daily dose. What do you guys think about that??? :)

sjm817
06/18/2009, 09:30 PM
You can do a week/7 if you want. I figured it out in one day. Even with my Kalk topoff, my dkh would drop by 1 in a 24 hr period. I used the calculator to see how much to raise it by 1. Since I use 2 part, I just add the same amount of ca. I was doing daily manual additions, but just started doing it with a pair of Drews pumps. I'll check after a week and see it it is drifting high or low and adjust if needed.