PDA

View Full Version : A two-fer; aquarium cost and tank-raised community

mudplo
06/18/2009, 10:48 PM
Hey all,

I have an established nanotank, but as our hippo tang is growing rather quickly we have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a 75-gallon. Unfortunately, I am clueless about how to begin pricing this out. I can confidently say that we do not intend to house any especially demanding corals, inverts or fish; we plan to stick with soft corals and maybe a couple bubble tips, along with a couple of clowns, our tang, and some other peaceful, lower-maintenance fish.

What should I realistically expect to pay for such an aquarium, keeping in mind that we don't have a desire for the "challenging" marine life just yet? LFS answers have been as low as $300 and as high as $2500. Obviously, the answer sits somewhere in the middle, but I haven't found a good resource yet to match needs with equipment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Second, is it fair to say that I won't be finding tank-raised fish that aren't of the clown/blenny/goby line? I like all of these, but we would really like another friendly, active fish in the tank, and I don't know if any of the tank-raised species meet that criteria. A domino damsel we had did fit the bill, but got overly mean and we had to return him :(

Sorry for the rambling, and thank you for any advice on either issue.

Clint

thedoctor06
06/18/2009, 10:58 PM
Check craigslist for deal. I'd go for a reef ready tank, stand, and refugium even if there weren't any corals ever. It simplifies things considerably. In my area, a 75 gallon tank, stand, and fuge can be as low as 400 bucks. You just have to wait for the right deal. But getting a hippo tank out of a "nano" tank would also be a pretty high priority for me. Good luck, and show us what you buy when you get t!