PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a 250 gal tank?

jayb12
06/19/2009, 11:03 AM
hi all, im upgrading my 50 gal predator tank to a 250 gal predator tank!

in my 50 gal ive got a 5" clown trigger, a 6" panther grouper and a 5-6" volitan lion.

they all get along so great but i need a few more fish to make a 250 gal tank interesting!

i was thinking about adding a blackfoot lionfish and some sort of interesting eel.

maybe even a large emperor angel

or maybe a frog fish?

suggestions?

Bonta
06/19/2009, 03:35 PM
For eels you could try a White Eye Moray or a Brazillian Horned Moray

saltyguy51
06/19/2009, 05:36 PM
Thats alot of fish for a 50 gal tank. That will be good for the fish to upgrade to 250 gallons, but a large angel will most likley pick the fins off the lion fish or any fish that sits still. Frogfish are interesting but not to active. An eel is a nice addition and my favorite is a Whitemouth from Hawaii or Golden Tail from the Caribbean. Hogfish, another grouper like a miniatus would be ok as well as a large Tang like a Naso

jayb12
06/19/2009, 07:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15224420#post15224420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyguy51
Thats alot of fish for a 50 gal tank. That will be good for the fish to upgrade to 250 gallons, but a large angel will most likley pick the fins off the lion fish or any fish that sits still. Frogfish are interesting but not to active. An eel is a nice addition and my favorite is a Whitemouth from Hawaii or Golden Tail from the Caribbean. Hogfish, another grouper like a miniatus would be ok as well as a large Tang like a Naso

the 3 fish that are in my 50 gal i had bought all within days of eachother all as small as they come, well under 3"

at the time a 50 gal set up was exactly what i was looking for until they were large enough to move to a perminant larger home (thus why i bought the 240 gal tank)

whats funny is when the 50 gal was cycling i had a small black damsel in there. well its been over 6 months and that damsel is still in the tank! my gf calls him speedy gonzalas!

jayb12
06/19/2009, 08:30 PM
can i keep a small shark!?!
deffinitally puttin a string ray in there too!

saltyguy51
06/19/2009, 08:45 PM
No Clown Trigger with a Ray. I have been researching the Rays myself and it looks like pretty docile fish can only go with a ray as alot of fish will tear up the tail and some will pick at the eyes thinking its food. What is the dimentions of the 250?

jayb12
06/19/2009, 08:50 PM
tank dimensions 72x30x25

i have a nice advantage that my local fish store who i order through will take back any fish that they buy, so if its not workin out, back to the pet store they go!

so far every tank ive put together has gone against what everyone has said, ie: putting more then 1 angel together or multiple tangs so maybe my luck will hold?

only time will tell.

saltyguy51
06/19/2009, 09:07 PM
That would be a nice tank for a small ray. I had 2 Angels together with no major problems, an Emporer and a Blue Angel and many people have more than 1 tang in the same tank.

DamnPepShrimp
06/19/2009, 11:24 PM
Sharks and rays don't mix with angels, butterflys, puffers and triggers. I would assume aggressive wrasses as well and I've heard lions are bad shark/ray tankmates but I've seen it done. Lions don't mix with triggers or puffers either. I wouldn't bother mixing any of the combo only to have it fail and returned to your LFS. That is a nice dimensioned tank btw, love the depth.

LisaD
06/20/2009, 04:42 AM
Congratulations on the new tank, that is a nice size. However, I don't think it's quite as big as you think - sounds more like a 220. If you use the tank volume calculator with the dimensions you supply, it comes out as 234. The outer dimensions of my 220 are 72 x 24 x 29.25.

i was thinking about adding a blackfoot lionfish and some sort of interesting eel.

maybe even a large emperor angel

or maybe a frog fish?

1) Blackfoot lionfish - no - these have a dismal record in captivity and don't get that big, either. I'd definitely not go with this species. Also, your clown trigger may be a significant risk with any lion down the road, as it gets bigger. Watch the lion you have, and don't add another. If you decide your clown trigger will not hurt a lionfish (I still think it's a big risk) you could add another larger species - another volitans, or maybe a Russell's lionfish.

2) Frogfish - definitely not. These fish are best for species tanks. They are slow eaters, and can't compete with faster aggressive fish for food. And they will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. Frogfish generally end up eating their tankmates or being eaten (or harassed) by their tankmates. Some fish that pick at live rock (like angels or triggers) think they look like chunks of sponge, and pick at their skin.

I think you may be able to add a large angel, or a tang, or a medium sized aggressive wrasse, like a harlequin tuskfish (they are fantastic fish). I like puffers, and a dogface puffer would be a good size for that tank. There are several color morphs (black, dalmation, yellow) as well as the regular kind. BTW, I agree with the other posters discouraging you from getting a ray.

I have multiple angels in a tank, and several people keep multiple tangs (though different species). It can be done, but do your reading to find out other people's strategies and experience.

I have a Brazilian dragon moray and a zebra eel in my 220. The zebra is a nice fish, but not out all that much. The BDM is more interesting and active, but it also has become kind of aggressive. It doesn't bother my angels, grouper or rabbitfish, but it tried to kill my puffer. I'm setting up a tank, just for the eel and one or two fish I am confident he won't bother. Unless you are just crazy about eels, I'd stick with regular fish.

Over time, the fish you ALREADY have may outgrow even this big tank (the panther grouper definitely will), so keep in mind the adult size of any fish you add. I would be very careful about adding any more fish with an adult size over 12" - the three fish you have can all reach adult sizes greater than 12".

jayb12
06/20/2009, 08:27 AM
thanks for the write up it was very helpfull!

and yes your correct, the dimensions do say 234. the owner told me 240 or 250 i cant remember, either way ill be pickin it up soon enough!