PDA

View Full Version : best online store to by fish??????

dnnor
06/19/2009, 09:49 PM
ok, so i'm thinking about buying my first online fish(not my first fish) and i'm looking for comments from people with real experiences with online stores.

things like warrenty, quality of fish, timely shipping and overall experience

sevendigitcake
06/19/2009, 10:01 PM
Live aquaria, bluezoo aquatics, divers den

unleashed13
06/19/2009, 10:03 PM
I use saltwaterfish.com they have a 14 day guarantee on all their fish so far I have had good luck with them.shipping is 20 bucks they use heat packs in the winter when needed cool packs when its too hot.I have yet to receive a fish yet that has come down with ich and I did not qt any of them.. if you also sign up for the mailing list they will send you notifications of weekly special on fish and dry goods. where I live we have no good LFS .when I don't order online I end up driving 2-3 hrs one way just to get healthy fish.

TriggersAmuck
06/19/2009, 10:52 PM
I have had great success with LiveAquaria (including their Diver's Den). That being said, I would highly encourage to buy at your local LFS if you have a reputable one around as they take a lot of the risk out of the process for you. It is ALWAYS a lot easier for an LFS (a reputable one again, I stress) to properly acclimate a fish to get them eating then for an individual tank owner, unless that individual is retired or on vacation and doesn't mind trying to feed the fish a multitude of foods around the clock during the normal business working hours. I know the shops around me tend to feed several times throughout the day, and that is just what is needed to get a new Angel, Butterfly, or other finicky eaters to accept their new food sources. Also, most LFS tend to treat their fish only systems with low grade CuSO4 treatment, something you may not want to do for a long quarantine in your own quarantine tank. Bottom line is that there is less risk to you losing money and to introducing a stressed fish into your tanks if you are willing to be a bit more patient and let the LFS order what you want. But if you do go online, good luck to you!

Scott

LisaD
06/20/2009, 05:29 AM
liveaquaria diver's den is my preference, hands down.

- best fish health management program anywhere - I have seen the facility in Rhinelander WI. fish are almost always shipped in top health and eating.

- awesome packing, always plenty of shipping water and plenty of head space in the bag - usually have to get through 5-7 bags to get to my fish.

- great customer service and communication

- generally correct ID, WYSIWYG, many rare and oddball fish

I have the best survivability with DD fish, over 90% (vs. 50% or less from other online AND LFS sources). Probably 80% of my fish are from DD, so I put my money where my mouth is. :)

DamnPepShrimp
06/20/2009, 08:43 AM
I've ordered from divers with good results and just ordered from ny aquatics so we'll see how that goes on tuesday.

prsammons
06/20/2009, 08:51 AM
+1 on Liveaquaria

seahorsedreams
06/20/2009, 09:14 AM
Besides seahorses,I've only ever ordered fish from Diver's Den. The rest are from the LFS.

namxas
06/20/2009, 09:41 AM
i've always had this thing about being able to see (and observe)the fish i'm buying. if i can't observe it, i'll settle for seeing it and knowing that the fish is being fed and "QT'd" before being offered for sale, so DD gets my vote...we've had nothing but good experiences with them.

saltyguy51
06/20/2009, 12:18 PM
I have ordered from a couple of divers with good results

yukonblizzard
06/20/2009, 12:20 PM
Divers Den and Blue Zoo for me.

SliceNdice
06/20/2009, 03:14 PM
i've never ordered fish but coral frags online...from vividaquariums...great customer service..great packaging...but they lack rare stuff...liveaquaria and bluezoo always have some awesome rare fishies.....

kirkaz
06/20/2009, 10:13 PM
I have used SWF.com, Reef Hot Spot, Live Aquaria, and Blue Zoo.....Blue Zoo is hands down my favorite, I have done 7 livestock orders there and never gotten a bad fish or coral, fantastic service as well. Live Aquaria and Reef Hot Spot very good too....SWF.com has good prices, but was not happy with the fish or the service.

Keep in mind one advantage of BZ and RHS over Live Aquaria, almost all fish other than from the Atlantic come in through Los Angelos. BZ and RHS are both in L.A., Live Aquaria is in Wisconsin or something. The fewer stops a fish makes the better imo.

MatthewLaw
06/21/2009, 11:02 AM
I use vividaquarium. Great service and very healthy fish. I received my black dogface and he is doing wonderful. Great eatting lionfish that arrived without issue. 15 day guarantee is a huge plus!!

LisaD
06/21/2009, 11:09 AM
Live Aquaria is in Wisconsin or something.

Just a clarification:
LA ships out of California, LA DD ships out of Wisconsin after conditioning for health. Wisconsin is the headquarters of Drs Foster and Smith. The warehouse for dry goods is there. They built a coral farm and fish facility there a few years agao. ONLY Diver's Den animals are shipped from Wisconsin.

To be honest, I trust the fish from Wisconsin because of the care they receive once they are shipped there from (probably) LA.