PDA

View Full Version : Kalk/top off question (sorry, another one)

t4zalews
06/22/2009, 10:49 AM
So from what I'm getting at from reading some previous questions is that I can just add a kalk mix to my top off water and when my osmolator adds water it will just add the kalk no problem. My tank holds ~75 gallons, my top off bucket holds about ~>5 gallons, and has to be refilled weekly.

I'm assuming that the kalk in the top off will not only keep my PH higher but also keep my calcium/alk levels up as well (sps/clam dominant)?

My top off doesnt run a lot, maybe like 1 every hour for like 3-5 seconds. I'm guessing this will be just fine for kalk top off.

If I do just add the kalk powder to my RO/DI made water, should I add a power head to the top off bucket to keep it moving?

Any other tips are appreciated.

BigJay
06/22/2009, 11:07 AM
Just mix 2 tsp per gallon into your topoff container once, mix it gently, and let it sit. You will have a fully saturated mix that will remain potent for weeks if you cover the ATO container tightly.

Stirring it will allow more CO2 into the water, precipitate more lime, and reduce the potency of your mix.

t4zalews
06/22/2009, 11:28 AM
I dont have a tight cover for it for my top off bucket is actually a waste basket, will this be a problem?

t4zalews
06/22/2009, 01:09 PM
I guess I'll just try it and figure it out.

What is a good kalk mix?

driftin
06/22/2009, 03:36 PM
2 tsp per gallon would be saturated. Depending on what your current tank load is, you may not need that much kalk right now. I haven't had problems leaving my lid off, if you aren't breaking the surface of the kalkwasser the air exchange will be minimal.

Mrs Wages lime is good, I'm currently using bulk reef supply's because it was cheaper.

t4zalews
06/22/2009, 04:21 PM
so I'll just start with 1 tsp per gallon and go from there. I'm guessing the adding of kalk raises calcium? there by stablizing alk? along with stabling Ph?

When testing the water to make sure I'm not overdosing, will I be checking Ca, Alk, Ca/Alk?

luther1200
06/22/2009, 05:36 PM
Yes, check your Alk, and Ca. But especially Alk. I have used ESV brand kalk for yrs and like it. They are the company that makes B-ionic. It was fairly inexpensive.

t4zalews
06/23/2009, 02:20 PM
should the kalk mixture be clear or kinda cloudy...I mixed up a batch and let it sit for like 2.5 hours. then added it to my top off bucket. It's kinda cloudy, bad thing?

nanojg
06/23/2009, 04:07 PM
mix and add immediatly to your top off bucket, or mix in your top off bucket. Once it settles it should be clear, but you poured it into your top off bucket mixing it again.

nanojg
06/23/2009, 04:07 PM
for good cheap kalk powder go to the the grocery store and buy Mrs Wages Pickling lime.

t4zalews
06/23/2009, 04:12 PM
oh alright..I was a little unsure about all this settling and stuff.

couple questions.

1) I keep on hearing about this bottom layer that forms, and I hear you DO NOT want this in your aquarium. Will this just form in my top off bucket and I don't have to worry, or do I have to wash out the bucket every time?

2) My bucket isn't air tight...should I duct tape over the open area to seal it more, or, if undisturbed, will the kalk mix be ok?

nanojg
06/24/2009, 07:29 AM
Dont worry about the bottom layer, maybe give your top off bucket a good vinegar bath every few months (but you may need to clean your tubes more often than that)

Not sure how fast limewater degrades when exposed to air, but it does.