PDA

View Full Version : how to feed maxima's????

surferboi2113
06/22/2009, 09:26 PM
i finally acquired a maxima the other day. its not the brightest of colorations but it was also $8 for a 6" clam(pic later...). He seems to be really healthy, attached to the rock in a day, light sensitive...

I was wondering how i feed him? i know its not necessary on a clam this size but could it hurt?? Should i be spot feeding him through his inlet with a baster or should i just let him feed with the rest of the tank?

i have some phyto from my LFS that i just dose in the tank with filters off for about 10 minutes in the morning twice to three times a week. corals seem to love it...

thanks guys!

DSR
06/23/2009, 07:26 AM
$8 for a 6" clam? wow. that is the cheapest I have ever heard. Hope that it does well.

I would just feed it in the water column, e.g. just put the food in the water and let it do its thing. I have never heard of anyone specifically target feeding a clam. I think what you are doing would work just fine.

surferboi2113
06/23/2009, 07:34 AM
Nice. yeah $8 was cheap. well, i'm in china at the moment...(everything is a bit cheaper here...) so cant really compare to your pricing. thanks for the input

DSR
06/23/2009, 03:44 PM
haha. Just noticed that you were in china... that probably does make a difference. Post some pics of the new addition.

moliken
06/23/2009, 04:21 PM
feeding is not necessary, esp'lly for a clam that size. LOTS of light and good h2o parameters are what's needed.

basser1
06/23/2009, 04:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15245304#post15245304 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moliken
feeding is not necessary, esp'lly for a clam that size. LOTS of light and good h2o parameters are what's needed.

+ fish poop...... can't forget good ol' fish poop! ;)

surferboi2113
06/23/2009, 09:56 PM
cant rally take very good pics. heres the best i can do. like i said, pretty bad coloring, but i wanted a simple clam for my first...

they had similar size bright blue clams at the market for $10, if this one does well, i'll be setting up a Ca reactor and getting more. i love them, just hope he lives.

http://img191.imageshack.us/i/img5962f.jpg/