PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a tank in a 100 year old Pier and Beam house

kjfennell
06/23/2009, 04:11 PM
I am going to set up a few tanks in my new house, a 240 8x2 tank, a 150 5x4 tank and a 150g rubbermaid vat. The location of the tanks isn't perfectly over a beam so I was wondering if people thought I should have some reinforcing beams installed.

The house is made of beams on 10 ft spacing and then this is crossed by 2x8's on 2 foot spacing. I am not sure what sits on top of the 2x8's. The floor does not seem to have any give in it anywhere in the house when you walk and there is no signs of deformation where the very heavy empty frag tank is sitting (probably 500 lbs empty).

The 240g tank will sit almost between two piers running parallel to the piers, so basically supported by 4x 2x8's

The frag and rubbermaid will be against the wall and the center of their weights will be about 2-3' spacing off the wall beam.

All of the wood under the house looks very strong, no signs of rotting etc. I had the house inspected by a structural engineer when I was buying it and he recommended additional beams, but did not really say why he thought they were needed etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Capt_Cully
06/23/2009, 04:21 PM
You're talking about a lot of weight. If you want to play it safe, just brace the basement. If it's an old house, without deformity, that kind of weight over time ( a year or so ) might create some new sag.

My house is 80 yrs old with 10 x 2 joists. My tank's left side is almost over the main support beam of the house. I still used pressure treated 6x6's and 6, 9000lb rated support poles to brace my tank. The supports are relatively inexpensive, and well worth the piece of mind. That 240 of yours, stocked, could reach the 3000# or greater mark. Why risk it over a couple of extra bucks.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/markjcolaneri/IMG_2955.jpg

kjfennell
06/23/2009, 05:09 PM
If only I had a basement! The house only has a crawl space so I can't/won't do the work myself so it will cost me ~$500 to have it reinforced.

Capt_Cully
06/23/2009, 05:20 PM
For me, that'd be worth it. Having a 100+ yr old house shift or sag could cause some serious trouble. Grand scheme of things...you don't start a reef or multiple reefs for a short period of time. If you're in it for the long haul, that is a chunk of change, but over time, a solid expenditure.

Caveat: always tough to spend cash on things like insurance or ungratifying things like....a new roof. BUT well worth it in the long run.

kjfennell
06/23/2009, 07:20 PM
Update: I have been told by the neighbors that just pulled out their floor that it is 2x 3/4" wood planks set diagonal to each other and topped with hardwood, so there is also a 1.5" thick platform sitting on the 2x8's if that matters.