PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Glue PVC...

Reefer2727
06/23/2009, 07:33 PM
I have my plumbing dry fitted and would like to start the glueing process.

I will be using Oatey Purple Primer Cleaner and Oatey PVC cement. My question is do I wait for the Purple Primer Cleaner to dry after application? Or do I put the PVC cement on while the Purple Primer is still wet? I know it is an awful question.

Thanks

stugray
06/23/2009, 07:43 PM
You want to apply the glue before the primer dries completely if you can.

I try to do one joint at a time

Prime female, prime male, apply glue to female, apply glue to male.
Insert piece, turn piece ~1/4, hold.

One thing to remember:

IF you dry fit, then primer and glue, AND press the fittings together hard...... you will always get the joints tighter than the dry fit.

So be careful that you dont overcompress something and make it smaller than the dry fit dimensions.

Stu

james3370
06/23/2009, 08:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15246345#post15246345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stugray
IF you dry fit, then primer and glue, AND press the fittings together hard...... you will always get the joints tighter than the dry fit.

So be careful that you dont overcompress something and make it smaller than the dry fit dimensions.

Stu

been there...done that....had to recut a part i made dry-fit "just right" but too short when i pressed it too hard on the final gluing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/james3370/smileys/doh.gif

waterworld2
06/23/2009, 08:57 PM
Get ready to have purple primer all over your fingers! Also any joints that need elbows orientated a certain direction mark both oieces with a pencil or marker so when you press them back together they will line up as you planned. Make sure any pieces you cut have the edges filed to remove the sharp edge "Burr' created when you cut it. Fitting PVC is almost like assembling Lego's!
Have fun.
WW2

therealfatman
06/23/2009, 09:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15246809#post15246809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by james3370
been there...done that....had to recut a part i made dry-fit "just right" but too short when i pressed it too hard on the final gluing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/james3370/smileys/doh.gif

I keep some slip couplings on hand. Luckily people do not ask why I occasionally have a coupling in the middle of a fairly short piece of pipe so I do not have to say I goofed so they are looking at a cheap fix. They are great for increasing a pipes length a short bit or to repair a pipe you had to cut because there was no union. It is jsut like a regular coupling but without the ridge in the middle. You can slide it all the way onto one pipe pull the other pipe into place then slide it over half way. Have to work quick though or the cement will stop you dead in your tracks,

james3370
06/23/2009, 10:12 PM
ah yes....the slip/slip pipe repair fitting.....i know it well LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/james3370/tank/temp/repair.jpg