PDA

View Full Version : RIP jewely

unleashed13
06/24/2009, 07:19 PM
well the time has come for jewely my mex dragon eel ..I have had her for 5 yrs or more at just over 2 ft she passed away this afteroon.. today was exceptionally hot in my house today and the tanks became very hot 90. dregrees :eek2: she was fine earlier acting normal but as the day went by I went to feed and found her in her rockwork kinda floating.the heat had bloated her very quickly:sad2: she couldn't have been dead more than a couple hrs as I look in the tank all day long as pass it.. her pet damsel is still fine with no signs of stressing.. this eel has lived through many things that most fish have died from always to be the survivor..shes been a tank up till now..may she finally RIP

MatthewLaw
06/24/2009, 08:03 PM
do you have a chiller? i dont think most fish can survive in temps at 90 degs+

saltyguy51
06/24/2009, 08:15 PM
Thats pretty hot in a house even for me. I like AC

LukFox
06/24/2009, 08:45 PM
Sorry for your loss :(! I came home to a 92 degree tank after a trip. My pet sitter was living in the house and blew out the AC by turning it up too high. I didn't lose any fish, but most of my corals melted and the fish were clearly stressed. I'm sorry that happened to your eel.

unleashed13
06/24/2009, 11:02 PM
I've never had a chiller before as I stated I have has this eel for over 5 yrs but today was exceptionally hot in my house just couldn't get the temps down.. my ac was cranked buts small and wasn't doing the best to keep me cool either.. I don't think being a closed top tank helped it much either..my larger tank has open top but contains no eels..ill end up rearranging both the tanks now.. splitting up the stock I have in the 125.. those fish seam to be all fine but yeah my few corals are def stressing from the heat.. ty lukfox its a bummer... if she hadn't been so bloated so fast she would have made a good candidate for taxidermy lol

LukFox
06/24/2009, 11:38 PM
When it gets really hot like that I wipe the glass with ice water. It really seems to help. Repeat as it dries. Also you can aim a big fan at the sump. Heat is a problem here in July/August and these things have kept it under control for me.

hen12y
06/25/2009, 03:13 AM
you can use a big ziploc bag and fill it with ice and let it float in your sump and when its all melted you can pour the water onto your grass so you don't waste any water.

LisaD
06/25/2009, 03:52 AM
I'm so sorry. I had something like that almost happen about a week ago. I think what stressed the fish more than even the heat was low oxygen in the tank. Warmer water holds less dissolved oxygen. I know it's too late for your eel, but if the flow in your tank is not that high, get it higher as soon as you can.

Everyone's ideas about floating frozen stuff in the sump or tank are good ones. You can also fill clean, empty soday bottles part way with water and freeze. I have a chiller on my 210, and with the heat we've been having, am very happy I have it.

danielp
06/25/2009, 04:05 AM
Yeah summer, not a good time for our tanks.
Whenever summer comes I always prepare extra bottles of ice in my freezer just in case, if I need to use couple of them because of heat I put 3-4 in my sump, and rest of them leave for the second wave. If you can't get quickly enough ice in your freezer, or don't have space just go to any cvs/wallgrens and buy ice, put in the ziplocs.
Today in Chicago was about 92 degrees, my AC runs 24h in the living room, and with big fan over my sump I was able to manage 82 F, not perfect but I didn't have to use frozen bottle ... yet.
Sorry to hear you lost your eel, especially after so many years.

LukFox
06/25/2009, 05:16 AM
Just note that if you put ice (even in bags) directly in the sump, you probably shouldn't have fish down there (I know I'm not the only one who uses the sump as another tank). I'd worry it would get too cold too fast around the bag and actually be harmful to the fish down there. If you don't keep any fish in the sump you'll probably be fine with ice.

lunker
06/25/2009, 06:38 AM
sorry to hear about your eel. It was smokin hot down here outside of detroit yesterday too, thank god for a/c!!. What are your plans for the tank now?, another eel or a new direction?

unleashed13
06/25/2009, 07:34 AM
well there's no sump on my tanks to add ice bags into..ill put a fan over the top of the open tank today maybe that will help keep that ones temp down to a dull 80s ..we just purchased 2 baby eels a couple weeks ago they will end up in it eventually when they get a tad larger ..I'll just split the fish up from my 125 move my smaller fish into the 90 to reduce some bio load...btw lunker I have the same hobby as your occupation if you happen to find it let me know where lol..

LisaD
06/25/2009, 08:06 AM
I'd still take a look at upping your circulation as well. I was surprised how fast my fish went down when the house heated up. They recovered quickly when I added a better powerhead and a strong skimmer. I think it was the added aeration and NOT bringing the temperature down that kept them from dying.

MatthewLaw
06/25/2009, 08:08 AM
so i assume you use HOB protein skimmers?

you could put on a large HOB biowheel (no biowheels or carbon filtesr) and put the ice packets into the area where the carbon would go.

unleashed13
06/25/2009, 08:14 AM
I have really good flow in the 125 as it has an aquaclear 900 PH(this big puppy is hard to find now plus rena filter with spray bar and we added octupus skimmer recently.. so far the damsel in the 90 is fine.that also has large PH rina filter and cpr skimmer

lunker
06/25/2009, 02:51 PM
did you post the 2 new eels on michigan reefers? I think the viper and the tiger?

unleashed13
06/25/2009, 09:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15257115#post15257115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lunker
did you post the 2 new eels on michigan reefers? I think the viper and the tiger? viper and chain link I purchased them from a fellow reefer.

MatthewLaw after thought came to me as well if the heat gets like it was yesterday again I think I will try that with the ice bags in the skimmer this will also keep porky from trying to a bag