PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with sump design.

x2uranium
06/25/2009, 07:09 AM
In the process of finishing my sump. I need Baffle Help.

My sump is 47 x 16 x 16 The first compartment I will have the filtersock and some rock rubble, the second I would like to hold the skimmer, I would like to add a 3rd and 4th 1 for return 1 for small growout area.

I have already built the first set of baffles, I have the Under then Over

water will come in from where the arrow points.

| | Side view
--> | |
| |
|
_|____________________

that is what the first baffle looks like

The second baffle measures 10" and is the depth of where I want to run my skimmer. Then I want that to go into another chamer where I can make a frag rack, and lastly the return.

I have no idea how to make the baffles to do this. Some help is needed. Sorry for the poor example but its all I can do from work.

cccapt
06/25/2009, 08:02 AM
Jon, here's my sump. Basically same idea, but configured a little different.
http://www.centercup.net/images/125build/ato3_5-09.jpg
It's a standard 55g. Tank overflows drain to right side where skimmer is. Then the baffles to keep that section at the same depth all the time. Next is macro and lr rubble and eggcrate seperating that from the frag section where I have anthelia. Another piece of eggcrate seperates that from the bulkhead for the return.

troylee
06/25/2009, 08:25 AM
You want your skimmer in the first bay with the filter sock....loose the live rock rubble..."nitrate factory" it will collect all the detrius and you will have poor skimming and the filter sock if it were me........I have the same set up pretty much click my red house its on the bottom of the last page and take a look...the first bay will be the drain coming in, and skimmer...then it goes threw 3 baffles and into a bay with no fuge baffled off yet, working on that now....then down to the return....hth..:)

x2uranium
06/26/2009, 09:32 AM
guys thanks for the help.

I kinda got it figured out, Didnt pass the leak test though lol. Had one side seam that had a pinhole drip.

Ill post pics later this weekend when I finish up.

x2uranium
06/26/2009, 09:33 AM
troy... nice build by the way :D

kgross
06/26/2009, 04:56 PM
Don't worry about the pin hole drip. What will it matter. As long as the leak is small it will not effect the operation of the sump.

Kim