PDA

View Full Version : Question for the big tanks.... Do you have moisture issues?

Thinslis
06/25/2009, 08:45 AM
Soo... I had a 150g setup with about 230g total volume. My house was a small ranch house built back in the 50s. I ended up with mildew in various areas of the house.

I've since moved to a newer house (2004) that is much larger. Addtionally my new tank is only going to be 40g. My girlfriend is concerned that we are going to have the same issue that I experianced in my old house. I've been given a very short leash here....

So I guess my question is.... how do you prevent this from being a problem? I know some of you have much larger tanks then even my 150g was... How do you avoid the moisture issue?

We are planning to build a new house eventually and I want to put a 300g in wall setup plumbed into a fish room in the basemet. However if I can't calm the girlfriends concerns then my dream might be just a pipe dream.

stunreefer
06/25/2009, 09:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15255008#post15255008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thinslis
I've been given a very short leash here....
:lol:

Well start tuggin' on it!

In a large house I highly doubt you would experience the same issues with only a 40 gallon. I have a ~200 gal system in a studio apartment, and I'm able to combat moisture with a dehumidifier. Some people just use A/C to dry out the air, some use dehumidifiers, some use fans that'll blow air outside and/or vice versa while some people use a combination of things.

Troll around through the builds in this forum and you'll find many examples :thumbsup:

I highly suspect once you look into it and "explain" everything your GF will be the one pushing to get that 300 gal in-wall set-up :lol: ... maybe not.

qy7400
06/25/2009, 01:47 PM
I had a 180 on the main floor and central A/C handled any humidity issue, in the basement I have another 400 gallons worth of tanks and a dehumidifier keeps to humidity at 50%; runs a lot but still keeps the basement dry.

If your building the house plan for the room to be high humidity and you should have no problems with any size tank you decide.