PDA

View Full Version : 300G Stocking Help

zlwags85
06/25/2009, 10:37 AM
Maybe I posted this on the wrong thread before.... but any input/help is appreciated:

Hello -

I could use some advice/help on stocking order and list:
Tank is a 300g display (about 450 or so system)
Will be mainly LPS and softies (might dive into some LPS eventually)
10 rows of T5's

Dimensions are 96" L X 30" W X 24" T

Here are some of the fish I know I want and a guess of qty:
9 Green Chromis
2 Clowns (maybe 2 pairs of different species if the tank is large enough... need to read more on that one)
Blue Tang
2-3 Yellow tangs (3 ok together or need 5 to reduce fighting?)
Cardinal Fish
Mandarin
Firefish
Some gobies
6-line wrasse
Anthias (Qty???)
Maybe powder blue tang

These are just a few of the fish that I have looked at that are pretty compatible overall. Qty is debateable and I could use some help/suggestions there. I'm looking to have a large qty of either chromis or anthias to have a chance at a schol. Beyond that, am I already way overstocked... what order do things need to go in for dominance so forth.... I'm cycled now and added a few red leg crabs tonight. Ready to start getting this list finalized and getting them in and QT'd.

Maybe a flame angel for the wife... little hesitant due to some horror stories

Thanks much!!!!

snorvich
06/25/2009, 11:05 AM
Personally, I would go with Anthias rather than Chromis. You probably cannot keep 2 pairs of clowns; they will fight and kill each other most likely. Six line wrasses can be very aggressive but they are copepod eaters which makes a mandarin mildly problematical.

zlwags85
06/25/2009, 12:08 PM
Even with a large fuge for pods to populate I would have a problem with a mandarin and 6-line? I have seen people with 300's who have 3 mandarins successfully.

Will it matter too much on the order that I stock these guys?

Could I do anthias and chromis? I have read an equal amount of people who have success with a schoal of chromis and then some people have them kill each other off until there are 5 or less.

Any other thoughts? Total bioload ok, over, under?

I have a 6' tall Lifereef skimmer that is already skimming quite a bit out for having all baserock.

snorvich
06/25/2009, 12:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15256149#post15256149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zlwags85
Even with a large fuge for pods to populate I would have a problem with a mandarin and 6-line? I have seen people with 300's who have 3 mandarins successfully.

Will it matter too much on the order that I stock these guys?

Could I do anthias and chromis? I have read an equal amount of people who have success with a schoal of chromis and then some people have them kill each other off until there are 5 or less.

Any other thoughts? Total bioload ok, over, under?

I have a 6' tall Lifereef skimmer that is already skimming quite a bit out for having all baserock.

I am not sure about the issue with mandarins and 6-lines but in my case, don't want to risk my gorgeous pair of mandarins who are with me for a long time for a fish that can be very aggressive and not all that interesting. In any case a sixline could intimidate your firefish.

Chromis sometimes winnow the herd and result in a small number. Anthias on the other hand can have females convert to being males and have similar issues.

I would always tend to add tangs last. it is hard to predict bioload as it depends on lots of system related issues.