PDA

View Full Version : Zoa Garden

Nikee1404
06/25/2009, 12:11 PM
I ordered a lot of Zoa frags from fragglereef.com that will arrive tomorrow (Friday) morning. My intentions were to create a Zoa garden that completely covers the substrate of my tank. My question is if I just place the Zoa frags on the sand will they spread out on the sand or will I have to put them on rocks for them to multiply?

Fishindude88
06/25/2009, 01:28 PM
I am pretty sure they grow on the sandbed (someone else can confirm please?) but I would add some rubble in there to so it creates interesting mounds when it is grown in rather than just a flat bed.

Nikee1404
06/25/2009, 02:23 PM
Fishindude-I was under the impression that they would grow on the sandbed, too. That's a good idea, +1 for the rubble idea. Thanks!

strout
06/25/2009, 04:57 PM
Just wondering what kind of zoas did you buy.

Nikee1404
06/25/2009, 05:16 PM
I'll make a list tomorrow when they come in, and I'll include pictures once they've opened up. Off the top of my head I can say I bought some Neon greens, Eagle Eyes, Devil's Armor, and i think 10 different kinds of Zoa frags. They'll be going in the 20 gallon. I'm pretty excited!

Guygettnby
06/25/2009, 06:02 PM
some i know for a fact will grow on the sandbed but then i have had other frags that would not. i also know abunch of people who have had there zoas grow on the sand aswell. but the rubble rock would make it interesting looking once it is all done.

strout
06/25/2009, 06:10 PM
I am just tossing this out there, I really don't know what I am talking about here. I have heard people say before when their polyps didn't open up, they were told that something like sand might bothering them and cause them not to open. Where I am going with this is, if you have fish in your tank, it might cause your polyps not to open if the fish kick up to much sand. Just a thought.

Nikee1404
06/25/2009, 06:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15258256#post15258256 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by strout
I am just tossing this out there, I really don't know what I am talking about here. I have heard people say before when their polyps didn't open up, they were told that something like sand might bothering them and cause them not to open. Where I am going with this is, if you have fish in your tank, it might cause your polyps not to open if the fish kick up to much sand. Just a thought.

Thanks for your input. I'll try it on the sand first. If that doesn't work out, I'll relocate them to rocks.

Nikee1404
06/26/2009, 09:00 AM
New frags came in from fragglereef.com! I'll have pics up when they open.

Atarax
06/26/2009, 12:52 PM
Like stated above some will grow on sand, these guys can be fickle at times, i have two paly and two zoo colonies that initially started on rock but have grown down onto, and across the sugar sand i have as substrate.
Palies will also incoporate sand into thier bodies so its possible all pallies will grow on sand, but i dont have the expierience to say for sure.