PDA

View Full Version : External overflow

tyeroe
06/25/2009, 05:57 PM
Just wondering if anyone has experience with external overflow?
I am getting a 6x2x2 built and i dont want an internal wier and with just holes in & pipe in the back will make to much gurgle so im thinking about external wier, one at either end on the back, running into a combo of bio balls and refugium chamber.
Any ideas as to how this will work? :bum:

jjk_reef00
06/25/2009, 06:14 PM
I love my external overflow, I built it onto an acrylic tank.
I would build it large maybe even a coast to coast California style.
Then use the silent and safe overflow described in this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15255457#post15255457
It works great, all you hear is my pump.

fishoutawater
06/25/2009, 09:02 PM
I will never have another tank without an external overflow. Bean's silent and failsafe design in on mine as well. Works great.

tyeroe
06/27/2009, 08:52 PM
thanks for showing interest but what i plan to do is a little diferent to the set up explaind . I plan to put two 45mm drain holes at either end of the back wall at the top of the tank then cover with mesh. I will make a 150mm wide x 150mm deep x 350mm long with a 45mm hole at the bottom to put a drain fitting and a pipe with a pre filter sponge. These would drain in to the filter on a drip tray through bio balls(in a box out of the water)then pass a bubble trap and rufugien chamber finally to be skimmed before returning to the tank.
I would like to know if anyone has done this before, Pics and info would be great. I guess it would have the same gurgeling noise as an internal wier, any suggestions on how to minimise this would be great while im in the build. :bum: