PDA

View Full Version : Er- Cs6-2

doug6644
06/25/2009, 08:44 PM
Has anyone had any luck converting a CS6-2 Euroreef, from an in sump, to an external skimmer? I would like to use my sump for a fuge, and with the pump and skimmer in it, I am kind of cramped. From the looks of things, just a little pvc cement, and some discharge rework, I'm sure I can convert it. I just want to hear if anyone else has done it.

kgross
06/26/2009, 05:00 PM
Lots of people have done recirculation mods on all models of ER skimmers including the 6-2.

All you have to do is drill 2 holes into the skimmer. One for the new pump inlet and one for the water inlet. You do not need to change the discharge area of the skimmer at all.

Here is a nice write up on a recirc mod.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18019&mode=threaded

Kim

kgross
06/26/2009, 05:00 PM
Double post.

There are times I really dislike RC and how slow it can be.

BTW. What RC's do you run? I just did some trading for a Tmaxx and a Savage. Need to find some good info on tuning the tmaxx for the engine.

Kim

SkolPaFisken
06/26/2009, 08:07 PM
I have done a couple recirc mods on the 6" Euro-reef's. I cannot state that I would trust them to run external.

The motor 'hanging' by the seals spells a looming disaster to me. I tried to silicone my Uniseals to be sure and after a couple of months they have let loose and are now slightly leaking (in my 'emergency' sump :>).

I suspect that the secret is to buy euro-reef seals (they are contoured to the skimmer where uniseals are flat) and drill the hole perfectly (straight bit + convex surface = oblong hole!).

Good luck and be careful!

dots
06/26/2009, 11:10 PM
Have you considered creating a fuge above your existing and cascading it into the sump, which is positioned directly under the bulkheads?

Big enough, the incomming water will slow and loose velocity dropping the detritus out of suspension, feeding the refugium, which could be removed and cleaned out if needed rather than it ending up in the sump.

This may be easier to acomplish that modifying a good skimmer, in which could be sold easier for an recirculating type.

....just a thought

doug6644
06/27/2009, 11:17 PM
Yea, I guess just making a new sump/fuge, may be the best route. I was kinda stuck with the mindset of using this sump I already have.
It is obvious, the sump I have, was not meant to have a fuge and skimmer in it.

doug6644
06/27/2009, 11:22 PM
BTW, I run Ofna buggies, Kim. One is an older Ultra with a .21 Picco, and my brand new one is a Pro Comp, with a Force .26 big block.