PDA

View Full Version : Best PC lighting for growth

kikireef
06/26/2009, 12:46 AM
I am currently running (4) 96w PC 50/50 (10,000k/blue acintic)bulbs. I just started my tank about 2-3 months ago. I should have asked in the beginning before buying but is this good lighting for growth for PC bulbs? Should I change out any or all of the PC's to different PC? I am not looking at upgrading to T-5's or Halides...yet. Just looking for PC advice.

Thanks

jtma508
06/26/2009, 05:30 AM
I don't need to tell you that PC is at the bottom of the lighting food-chain. I've been using a Corailife PC fixture (4 x 65w) over my 90gal because I happened to have it lying aound from an older freshwater system. The tank looks good and I've gooten good growth from my LPS, zoas and palys. In my experience, the UVL bulbs are absolutely the best. They have a built-in reflector that puts more light in the tank. It's VERY noticable when you change. I started with 2 x SuperActinic and 2 x 50/50. But just did a bulb replacement and went to 2 x Actinic White instead of the 50/50's. Alot more light with those.

celano
06/26/2009, 08:44 PM
I'm gonna agree with Jtma about UVL's line of pc bulbs. I made the switch to them after using various bulbs from different manufactures over the past three years and theirs are by far the best.
But to answer your question, yes 10k bulbs are very good for coral growth. They may not look the best but with some actinic support they can make a tank look very nice.:)