PDA

View Full Version : The New Tank

MrsHaggis
06/26/2009, 12:18 PM
Well, I've done it - spent an absolute fortune on what I hope will be a very beautiful tank with everything that I will ever need (technology wise).

Aquarium 120x50x60 (95 gallons) glass tank/open topped
Sump of around 30 gallons
All the plumbing one might need (which is more expensive than I would have thought)
HQI 250 Watt lighting with 2 BlueMoon bulbs (timers for all bulbs built in)
Tunze Doc Skimmer 9010
2 Tunze Turbell 6055 with a Tunze MultiController 7095 which simulates tidal differences after sundown/sunup (stops outputting as much when there is a difference in luminosity and vice versa) - this is probably a luxury that we could have done without but when you're already spending over 2000 Euros you tend to stop counting; which has got me into problems before :-)
1 PowerJet Return Pump 6000

It turned out to be much more expensive than first thought. Surprise, Surprise!
I changed from T5 lighting to HQI and back again more than once!

Main problem with the T5 lighting (I believe) is the amazingly hot summers we are having since the last few years (45 degrees centigrade plus) - I was afraid of the over heating involved with a canopy housing 6 T5 bulbs at 54 Watts each. I believe it will be easier to keep the tank cool with a HQI installed 40cm above the tank with the ceiling fan on. We don't have AC in the houses over here (it's illegal). I also didn't want to spend another 600 Euros on a cooling fan - we might still have to; let's wait and see.

So what started off as a wee interest in marine life has turned into the most expensive hobby ever!!!! But I'm sure I've bought something that will last for a very, very long time!

As soon as the tank arrives I will start to take pictures.

Any comments/questions/whatevers just drop me a line!!!

I'm now having a small cocktail to ease the stress of having spent so much.....

Cheers
Fiona

RobbyVonAwesome
06/26/2009, 12:41 PM
Sounds like a great setup! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Katmanblue
06/26/2009, 12:58 PM
Brilliant, send pics, congrats and good luck!

sikpupy
06/26/2009, 02:03 PM
Illeagal to have AC in the house???????

Oh, congrats on the tank :D

sam75
06/26/2009, 11:24 PM
Makes me not feel so bad about not cutting on the ac... yet. :D

Sounds like you're off to a great start!