PDA

View Full Version : bubble algae explosion!!!

nickyp
06/26/2009, 12:49 PM
I currently have a 72 gallon bowfront setup with a 20 gallon fuge. All parameters are within normal limits. I have 350 watts worth of compact florescent T5's.
I have an array of corals, inverts, and a few fish. My question is this: about 3 months ago I purchased a giant live rock with a colony of green star polyps on it. Unfortunately there was also a bit of bubble algae throughout the rock. Over the last three months i've seen the green bubble algae multiply. Thankfully it is still contained to the original rock but it looks hideous. I've read that green crabs can help the problem, but have also heard conflicting reports that the crabs may also nip at the softer corals. Is it safe to pull the rock and try to manually remove the algae? Is there anything else I could do to remedy the situation? I'm all ears.

Hephalump
06/26/2009, 12:55 PM
If I were you I would take the rock out and knock off as much of the bubble algae as you can without breaking the bubbles. If you break the bubbles they release spores and your tank will quickly be colonized by the bubble algae. Emerald crabs are suggested to eat small bubble algae, but they are hit or miss. Honestly I think if the bubble algae has been in your tank for three months then it is only a matter of time before you see it sprouting up on your other rocks.

romsoccer12
06/26/2009, 12:58 PM
its called an emerald crab. 2 would be fine for your tank. if your worried about them going after corals, i would target feed them when theyre done with the bubble algae. ive had 2 in my 29gal and they dont mess with anything. they are a great addition to your tank and make it look more like a reef.

PapaKlix
06/26/2009, 01:25 PM
if removing the rock is not an option, pull them out when you do your water changes. i have a small amount of bubble algae i have been working down every week when i do water changes. i use a small plastic tooth pick to try and jar them loose with the hose sucking right over them. even if you pop them, the spores get sucked out. i keep my finger over the end to stop the flow when i'm moving from place to place otherwise the amount of water i plan on removing from the tank goes a bit too fast.

emerald crabs are only good at keeping the bubble algae at bay, they're not going to eat the large pieces.

nickyp
06/26/2009, 03:51 PM
thanks, i'm able to pull the rock so i'll work on it out of the tank. Then i'll take the advise on prying them loose during water changes. I appreciate the advice.