PDA

View Full Version : any body ever kept multiple damsels?

markandkristen
06/26/2009, 02:34 PM
was thinking of putting twenty in my 150 with my 4 tangs and six line wrasse..

was looking at the yellow tail

Toddrtrex
06/26/2009, 02:42 PM
Never tried that many -- and I have a feeling that in time that number would drop, from being killed off. And even with a 150, that would be a large bio-load with 4 tangs.

I currently have 4 Talbot's in my 75, have been together for about 2 months now, and no real aggressive b/t them. Granted these are more peaceful damsels.

markandkristen
06/26/2009, 02:47 PM
which one is the talbot

Toddrtrex
06/26/2009, 02:50 PM
Here is all 4,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/gangof47.jpg

Close up,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/gangof44.jpg

markandkristen
06/26/2009, 02:50 PM
never mind found him :)

markandkristen
06/26/2009, 02:51 PM
cool how much do the run a piece

Toddrtrex
06/26/2009, 02:52 PM
I can't remember the exact price (( got them from an LFS )), but I know that they were under $10 each.

mdrc
06/26/2009, 02:54 PM
id think itd be just like cromis, like stated above the group would dwendle down untill your left with ao round 3-10ish

guntercb
06/26/2009, 02:58 PM
I have 5 yellowtails that are in my QT. Soon I will put them in my 120. They seem to be OK in the QT, but they do chase and nip at each other. I am curious what happens when they go in my 120.

Dave Harms
06/26/2009, 04:21 PM
Damsels do tend to dwindle down and form a balance... 20 would be too many tho. :D

markandkristen
07/07/2009, 01:06 PM
thnks

thincat
07/08/2009, 09:51 AM
20 would be too many for a 55g. Just think about their adult size.

Santoki
07/08/2009, 10:03 AM
I think he said it was a 150g tank.
I don't think 20 is too many at all. Sump size and skimmer efficiency are important factors though. In fact damsels imo have one of the smallest bio-load footprints. Also, only the dominant one will reach close to full size in an aquarium of this size. The group will self regulate food intake according to established hierarchy and grow accordingly. I think it would be very interesting to see how they do in the long run.
Damsels are very under-rated imo and are some of the most natural looking reef fish.
good luck.

golby
07/08/2009, 10:04 AM
I have three YT damsels that I got about four months ago. None have died or been killed, though one has been sufficiently terrorized that he stays hidden all day except when I drop some food into the tank. I'd imagine that with 20, some of the weaker terrorized ones would die, others would hide and the bullies would be the ones you'd see. I don't know what the ratio would be when you start with 20...you'd could end up with one or two "Top Dogs" or if you'd have a bunch. Of my three there is a clear pecking order and the big bully even gets in short, but spirited, tussles with my Coral Beauty about once a day--no nipping just swimming at each other and posturing (fins spread and circling or backing into each other). Though, I will say, now that I have two tangs (Yellow and Kole) the bully's territory has shrunk a bit so perhaps with a 150, you could have a few Top Dogs.

J4Life
07/08/2009, 10:19 AM
I had 7 yellow tails in my 75 gallon at one time and they didn't kill each other off. I had some die on there own and they actually all hung out in a group for a good while. Eventually they divided up into pairs.

Yellow tails don't get very large at all and they are a pretty fish but can be aggressive to other fish.

I currently have 2 blue green chromis along with a yellow tang, fancy tale blenny, sixline, royal gramma, and 1 what I believe to be a blue-headed damsel all in my 75 gallon and everybody seems to be getting along. The male chromis does occassionally go after the smaller blue head and sixline but that one last long once they get a little bigger.

I was actually thinking about adding that many yellow tails to my 180 when I get it setup to see how they would do.

Damsel's around here go for no more than $3 - $5 so not to steep on the wallet if you lost a couple.

Good luck and if you add that many take some pictures and share.

Thanks,

Bill