PDA

View Full Version : Use a filter sock, or not....

Sooners
06/26/2009, 04:34 PM
For the drain line (into the sump chamber where the skimmer is), is it preferable to use a filter sock to catch debris and bubbles, or not. I'm curious as to what the better approach is, and why. Pros/cons? Thanks.

TBHockey
06/26/2009, 04:37 PM
I use Filter Socks....some do, some don't but i prefer to clean the socks then have a huge build up in the Sump and have to clean the sump. I change mine out every day to 2 days and they get quite dirty. I can only imagine what it would look like if i didn't use them.

n00by
06/26/2009, 05:46 PM
The only con is having to clean it. I use it to keep the sump clean and also quiet down the splash of the drain water. It's great. Buy it!

vallon
06/26/2009, 05:59 PM
Does not matter either way. If you do use it, you must clean it often or else the buildup will have you regretting the decision.

reice05
06/26/2009, 06:56 PM
does it really make it less noisy? and when u said u change them u mean change them to brand new ones or just clean it out?

ILoveReefer
06/26/2009, 08:23 PM
Clean It out. Usually twice a week and it's kind of a pain. I rinse mine, then through it in the washing machine with some bleach and let It dry before using it again. Alternating between two filter socks. It does help remove uneaten food and it keeps the sump a little cleaner. It does cut down on a little noise, less gurgling noise.

SSpiro
06/26/2009, 08:46 PM
ABSOLUTELY use one. Made such a huge impact on my NO3 and PO4 issues when I started using.

I change mine daily.

dahenley
06/26/2009, 08:54 PM
i will say that when i had a 55gal, and a 10gal fuge, i didnt use them. i tryed not using them on my 240 with a 55gal sump, and with the high flow and everything else, my tank always looked a little clowdy, and it was really small particals floating in my tank, soo i broke down and got a sock and put it on my tank. WOW what a difference, my tank looks great and clear. (my filter sock looks like my skimmer cup after a few days) i would say that it does suck to chang my filter socks out 2wice a week, but it is well worth it. a few buddies of mine bought 5or6 socks each and the change them out every other day and just wash on the weekend. (once you go sock, you never go back)

dots
06/26/2009, 08:55 PM
I used to use one, it does help if you regularly change them. I think people believe they will be nitrate factories as bioballs.....but if one changed them regularly, they can be very benificial in removing detritus before it settles elsewhere in the sump.

I had 6 or so that I rotated out and just got tired of dealing with them.

The help trap micro bubbles, particles too large for the skimmer to pick up and can really help with water clarity, in fact I suppose it could be used as a passive filter.

Im lazy, and havn't used them in a while, but am indifferent to pros or cons of them.

Preference.

SSpiro
06/26/2009, 09:04 PM
It's a fantastic filter. Definitely worth the daily effort.

Sisterlimonpot
06/26/2009, 09:16 PM
+1 on keeping 5or 6 that way your not constantly worrying about cleaning them.

eb8919
06/26/2009, 09:57 PM
I also agree on getting a solid week or two worth. Change them every 2 days or so and keep up on cleaning them. It really isn't a lot of maintenance for what it does for the system. Think of all the food and debris that go through the overflow and won't get caught up in your sump but rather caught instantly in the sock and removed before it had time to decay.

sam75
06/26/2009, 10:54 PM
I've tried not using them several times over the years, but always go back to them and wonder why I stopped using them in the first place. Just lazy I guess... definitely get several and change them once or twice a week.

dots
06/27/2009, 12:04 AM
I was worried about it overflowing is why I stopped, I changed mine weekly.

I washed mine in the clothes washer alone with a cup of bleach, air dried, soaked RO/DI and redried prior to use.

My problem was I wouldn't do the laundry.......

Whys
06/27/2009, 01:20 AM
Originally, I wasn't going to use a sock. But I have a small high flow sump, so I ended up needing one to control micro bubbles. They do work for that, but I've also come to appreciate them for several reasons. Mine cinch closed and this reduces noise, eliminates mist and spray thus reducing evap, and yes, it catches detritus as well. :)

If you are designing your sump and are still uncertain, I would recommend keeping the option open and not making it too difficult to reach should you decide to use one.

rroselavy
06/27/2009, 01:27 AM
What about the possibility that the sock traps micro-organisms that may be useful to the tank, like amphipods, copepods, micro-brittle stars et cetera? This is the main reason why I do not use the socks...

Gary Majchrzak
06/27/2009, 01:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15265211#post15265211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rroselavy
What about the possibility that the sock traps micro-organisms that may be useful to the tank, like amphipods, copepods, micro-brittle stars et cetera? This is the main reason why I do not use the socks...
so take 'em out and return 'em to the aquarium if you catch some in the sock. FWIW I rarely see any of these in my mechanical filters although there are thousands of them in my aquarium. These critters tend to stay close to substrate.

Whys
06/27/2009, 03:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15265211#post15265211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rroselavy
What happens to them without a sock? I doubt most baby stars will survive a ride thru your return pump. I actually shake my sock over a bucket when I take it out and try to rescue the pods and stars. Not everyone does that, but I try to retain as many good things as I can.

rroselavy
06/27/2009, 12:50 PM
Makes sense...I wouldn't mind getting rid of the debris I always have to siphon from the sump on water changes.

cdbias2
06/27/2009, 04:52 PM
I can't imagine not using a sock.
I rotate 5 or 6 as well and use a washing machine with bleach, let them dry and then back to the sump.
They look like a cess pool in 2 or 3 days.

jenglish
06/27/2009, 05:08 PM
If you change it out at least daily they should not add nitrates, If they are left longer than that they certainly can add to nitrate problems. There is no right answer for every tank and every person. my .02