PDA

View Full Version : Scored a FREE 90 Gal SW tank tonight

~reefchik~
06/26/2009, 08:36 PM
We've talked about this with our neighbors for at least 2 years. They have a 90 gallon SW tank and since I used to work at a LFS (mostly marine and corals) and have kept reef tanks for years, I was always their "go-to" person when they had issues with their aquarium.

I don't know how many times they said "One of these days, we will probably just give you this tank". But that day never came, and honestly I didn't think it would.

Well, we were just over there for a visit, and they've had it with the tank, can't manage it anymore, and they are GIVING IT to me.

It's going to be a lot of hard work getting it moved over here and set back up but at least two husky guys (and probably a couple more) will be available to do the heavy lifting. Those days are over for me.

Now I get to decide.....90 gallon REEF or 90 gallon FOWLR and maybe finally get some of those gorgeous angels, anthias, and tangs that I've only ever lusted after but never owned because I wanted corals worse.

Hmmmmm....decisions decisions!

At any rate, I'm going to need some advice for engineering/shoring up the floor under the place we'll set the tank. We have a stick built two story and already, my 20 high FW tank in that spot does a rock n roll thing when we play Wii in front of it. Not good.

romsoccer12
06/26/2009, 08:53 PM
thats awesome. you should get some cool looking wrasse's also. gl with all your stuff

ddinox64
06/26/2009, 09:16 PM
Bake them a cake.

cveverly
06/26/2009, 09:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15264454#post15264454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ddinox64
Bake them a cake.

CrabCake?

~reefchik~
06/27/2009, 10:57 AM
DH is going to help him build a retaining wall around some landscaping in exchange.

I'm still concerned about the filled weight of the tank on these floors. Looks like a major re-arrangement of furniture in Family Rm is in order too.

I found out he's running a Fluval canister 440 as filtration. Shouldn't I probably consider getting a decent wet/dry instead?

~reefchik~
06/27/2009, 12:11 PM
Make that a Fluval 404 - typo, can't edit

Doahh
06/27/2009, 03:27 PM
No wet dry... old technology.
Go with a sump/fuge and skimemr

~reefchik~
06/27/2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I agree with the sump/refugium idea. Guess I'll have to deal with a HOB overflow.

Bowman
06/27/2009, 05:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15267605#post15267605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ~reefchik~
Yeah, I agree with the sump/refugium idea. Guess I'll have to deal with a HOB overflow.

Since your going to be dismanteling the tank to move it, now would be a good time to drill the back for bulkheads and skip the HOB overflow. You could even incorporate a coast to coast overflow. My .02

~reefchik~
06/27/2009, 07:44 PM
Bowman, I googled it and that is a pretty cool innovation. So many nice things have happened in the hobby in the past few years.

I like that CTC overflow idea. Do most use internal or external boxes?

Bowman
06/27/2009, 09:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15268336#post15268336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ~reefchik~
Bowman, I googled it and that is a pretty cool innovation. So many nice things have happened in the hobby in the past few years.

I like that CTC overflow idea. Do most use internal or external boxes? The simplest would be to drill the back of the tank for 2 or 3 bulkheads and then make a internal coast to coast overflow box. If you would want to do an external overflow you would need to cut or route a slot across the back of the tank at the water line. Hope this makes sense.

~reefchik~
06/28/2009, 08:23 AM
Makes perfect sense. I guess it's just a matter of what you would prefer to see, but the ones I saw online you couldn't really see the overflow once the tank was full.

I'll have to ask the LFS if they would be willing to drill the tank. I've heard horror stories. It'd be just my luck to get HandyMan Hub to do it and crack my free tank :(

GoJo
06/28/2009, 08:31 AM
Talk to your local reef club. They may have someone who has drilling experience and would be willing to help out.

~reefchik~
06/28/2009, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15269896#post15269896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GoJo
Talk to your local reef club. They may have someone who has drilling experience and would be willing to help out.

That would be a good idea, except I don't belong to one. I've been out of the hobby for about 5 years really with the exception of my little 20 gal nano. I will be paying a visit to my old employer next weekend. He runs a marine store out of his home along with an internet LFS.

GoJo
06/28/2009, 01:52 PM
Sounds good. If all else fails, you might reach out to the local club anyway. They will likely offer what help they can without membership being an issue.